SUmp Pump to House Drain

Old 01-11-14, 06:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SUmp Pump to House Drain

The sump pump in my sisters house discharges into the house drain. In her town that is allowed if its for laundry, water softener that type of stuff. Until the thaw the last few days we thought that was the only reason it was in the basement. Now its kicking on with storm water too, about ever 10 minutes today.

Im not sure if this is something that has to be changed per village ordinance but is this something we should be looking to rectify because of any tax or stress on the house drainage system (old 60 year old cast iron main)?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-14, 07:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Can you confirm that this sump pit has a few pipes coming into it? One from the laundry or whatever as well as from a french drain or exterior drains?

New construction would usually include two sump pits in your case. One for gray water (washing machine, sink, etc) which would drain to the city sewer system. One for storm water which would drain outside away from the house.

In your case, it's probably grandfathered. It won't affect anything in your house, but the extra storm water draining into the city sewer system can overwhelm the city sewer processing plants. They want to be sure that they drain separately.

Old 01-12-14, 05:48 AM
R
I think its allowed, as far as what I am reading in the ordinances. If not, its probably grandfathered as you state.

I undertand why municipalities don't allow that. I was just concerned on how it could effect the house drains.

Kind of thinking storm water would have dirt or something in it that would clog the house drain. And if the house drain clogs then we would be up shiits creek.... (perhaps literally?)
Can you confirm that this sump pit has a few pipes coming into it? One from the laundry or whatever as well as from a french drain or exterior drains?

Its kind of like the grey water drains from the laundry sink into the storm sewar... its only after multiple loads that water starts dripping into the sump. Kind of like their is a basin collecting water and then overflows if that makes any sense.

That same pipe that deposits the grey water into the sump is also is draining storm water I think... rain and thaw here the last few days and it has been filling frequently.

Old 01-12-14, 06:38 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Kind of thinking storm water would have dirt or something in it that would clog the house drain. And if the house drain clogs then we would be up shiits creek....
Nah, the pump will get a bit more of a workout, but no different than if it were just pumping storm water. I wouldn't worry about the pipes or anything.

Its kind of like the grey water drains from the laundry sink into the storm sewar... its only after multiple loads that water starts dripping into the sump. Kind of like their is a basin collecting water and then overflows if that makes any sense.
That is kind of worrisome, unless I'm not understanding. Is the sewer pipe leaving your house below the laundry? So the washer/laundry tub just drains via gravity? If so, it should just drain and be done with.
If it's coming back through your drainage system after a few loads, that means you have a leak in your main drain out to the sewer. But again, maybe I'm just understanding it incorrectly.

Old 01-12-14, 09:33 AM
R
The sump (and laundry sink for that matter) is below where the main exits the foundation.

The laundry seems to collect and then drains into the sump after a few loads. The sump is then ejected about 6 ft above to pvc that leads to the main.