Some Rough Plumbing advice

Old 01-12-14, 10:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some Rough Plumbing advice

Name:  dahole.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  28.5 KB

I'm looking to add a bathroom laundry room to the basement. The house footprint is 30x20 feet and the main line is located in the middle of the back 30 foot wall. I'm looking to add a bathroom/shower to the left of the main line and the laundry room in the front left of the front 30 foot wall (facing the back wall). Something like this.

-------------------------
| S B M |
| |
| |
|W L |
-------------------------

So I did some digging on the main line hoping to locate the sewer line going in the direction of the laundry room so I could tie in. The Water line is coming in over there.

However I've gone down a couple feet and I still don't know where the pipe is going. So the sewer line is fairly deep and it might be a challenge to find over on the other side of the house. The water level is about 8 inches below the basement floor making it a challenge to dig and probably pipe the whole thing.

So I am wondering if I need to rethink. It seems to me that I am deep enough that I could just cut the mainline there and connect in and channel it all at a much higher level than if I connected to the sewer line below. The connection would be below the basement floor.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 05:58 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I could just cut the mainline there and connect in and channel it all at a much higher level than if I connected to the sewer line below. The connection would be below the basement floor.
This will probably be your best bet. The laundry drain likely is routed some other way - it's unlikely to be buried multiple feet below the slab. It's possible it exits the house somewhere different and ties in to the main drain outside.

Looking at the galvanized piping, you probably want to replace some of that drain piping while you're at it. It may be worth replacing at least part of your main stack with PVC to make the connections a bit easier.

Old 01-18-14, 06:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks. Sounds like a plan.