Help needed for Pump Discharge backup

Old 01-12-14, 04:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help needed for Pump Discharge backup

I have a pump that discharges into a drain above.

If that drain were to back-up there is a 1 1/2" pipe with a plug on both ends that exits the house st the sill plate of the basement. Its intended to hook up a discharge of some kind to the female adapter on the outside. And hook up the pump to the female adapter on the inside.

There is about 3 to 4 feet between the adapter and the pump on the inside of the house.

I was thinking of just a 1 1/2" male to 1 1/2 hosebard grey plastic fitting on the outside and hook up a flexible drain line to that in a pinch.

However I am not sure what to do on the inside between the pump and the female adapter.

Any ideas?

One idea I had was use a fernco coupling under the check valve of the pump main line. If I had to I would remove the coupling on the main side and hook up something between the pumps outlet to the backup female adapter.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
So right now your sump pump is discharging into the city sewer ?
Is it just stuck into a pipe ?

It's not going to be easy to able to change the plumbing inside.
If your pump is currently discharging into a short standpipe ..... maybe you can put a short standpipe on the line going outside.

Old 01-12-14, 05:23 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Has the drain backed up before? I would probably spend my time ensuring the drain doesn't back up instead of a manual transfer setup. But maybe there's a good reason for it? How often do you think you'd need to change it? You could possibly do a multi-valve setup... maybe?

Old 01-13-14, 12:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, did some work today. My goal was to have a plan for 3 circumstances.... 1. Pump failure. 2. Power outage. 3. Main line clog/stoppage.

First I was considering using a pvc ballvalve after the check valve on the mainline and have a tee there with a threaded side that would stay plugged and then when needed I would insert a male adapter to 1 1/2 barb and flexible discharge to the pipe to the outside.

Then I decided against that since leaving it plugged would then mean if the ball valve is turned the pump would sieze and burn up.

I considered going all PVC instead between a tee like I describe and the secondary discharge instead of the removable flex line. Then I realized its probably a bad idea to hard plumb it like that since it connected to my house drain and then there would be an opening to the outside of my house.

So what I did was (and I hope its proper).....

The 1 1/2 pipe going out of the house has a plug on both ends that I would remove if I have to put it into service.

I cut the main 1 1/2 discharge between the pump and the check valve and added a fernco coupling. This makes swapping out a pump easier in the event of pump failure.

Knock on wood that I will never have to do this, but if I need to pump to the secondary line in the event of a clog/stoppage then I figure I would remove the fernco from the main line and add another short piece of PVC with a check valve to barb on the end. Connect to the secondary discharge temporarily via a flexible tube.

In fact I did this today and my only problem now is securing the pump if I had to use it like that in an emergency. The pump tipped over the first time I tried it. I was thinking of having a cinderblock and rope close by to secure it.

As for power outage. I intend to use the discharge line (when not in use of course) to run an extension cord between my portable generator outside and to the pump (power strip) to the inside.

Does any of this sound solid at all?

How can I secure the pump better in the event it has to be connected to the flex?

Old 01-13-14, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
What kind of pump ? Pedestal or submersible ?

With a pedestal type pump you can lay two pieces of 2x4 on the floor.... one on either side of the pedestal. Submersible type usually sit on blocks or bricks. Some can be suspended from the top of the pit.