Leaking basement - Cracks in floor

Old 01-13-14, 11:25 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking basement - Cracks in floor

I have been suffering with a leaking basement / garage for the last year since I bought my house. A couple of months back I went to the expense of having an exterior footer drain installed and the exterior walls waterproofed. Unfortunately I still have water flowing through the cracks in the floor.
An issue of Hydroscopic pressure, ground water rizing after heavy rain. I believe the footer drain did not fix the issue as it was not placed low enough. it is on the footer instead of along side.

To fix this, I want to dig an interior drain and pipe the water directly out the garage doors and out the side of the driveway. I have enough grade to do this. I would prefer this to having a sump pump inside the basement.

I am wondering if this is a good idea as I have never read about anyone taking this approach.
Some opinions would be appreciated.

This new interior drain will be deeper than the exterior drain and I expect it will probably undermime it somewhat.
Is it possible that encouraging water to flow more freely underneath the foundation can cause accelerated damage as opposed to just haveing wet ground?

Apologies for the long thread but this topic is driving me slowly crazy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 02:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What about getting the contractor to correct the job, if you think that it was done incorrectly?

Old 01-13-14, 03:43 PM
I
Sure, thats the most obvious fix, and an avenue that I an pursueing. On one hand he has done what he was contracted to do, install drain and waterproof wall, on the other hand, my floor is still wet.

Old 01-13-14, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Whats it say in the contract? Isnt that why you called him? Was this method his recommendation to fiz your water issue?

Why do more work... ??? Fix the outside mistake first...

Old 01-13-14, 04:35 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
See Ron Hazelton video. Not cheap but this will solve a basement water problem.

How to Waterproof a Basement Ron Hazelton Online DIY Ideas & Projects

Old 01-14-14, 06:18 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If waters coming in through the floor and not the walls then you really need a sump pump and some drain tiles under the floor.
High water tables, under ground water sources ECT. will not be fixed with just a French drain around the foundation.

Old 01-14-14, 08:48 AM
I
Thank you all for the feedback, the movie from Norm201 is one I have not seen before.

On the contractor topic and doing the job properly, the contractor is a 1 man show with a small business, he does offer a warranty on his work. The issue is that there is no water leaking in the areas he fixed, i.e. walls and footer, it only comes now from the middle of the floor. In his opinion he has fulfilled his contract and that might well be the case. Even if he were to come back and do the whole excavation again, it still may not fix the problem completely. There is enough pressure under the floor to slightly lift the concrete slabs and open the cracks wider.

Moving onto the interior tile drain, that is exactly what I want to do, but I want to do this without a sump pump. I dont think that I have to do this, the front of the basement / garage is open and I have a downhill grade, only the rear and side walls are underground (up to 8 foot).
That's why I think I can run the tile drain directly out the garage door and avoid the expense / space usage / reliability issues of the pump. Would anyone see this as a bad idea for any reason?
Many Thanks