Basement Flooding

Old 01-14-14, 03:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Flooding

So I have some questions about basement flooding. My basement gets water every time it rains or have a snow melt. Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little but it always happens. First it starts out as just rainwater backing up from the floor drains then all of a sudden it turns into sewage. I have contacted my local city several time and they come out and say there is nothing wrong on their end and the pipes look good. I have had my line rodded once a month now for the past 4 months.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A little background on the house: It was originally built in 1902 but had some butchers rip it apart in the 80's and 90's. After the most recent really bad flood and cleaning up after it, I found a cut plumbing vent just left open in the basement wall connected to nothing. I used to have 3 floor drains and under the advice of a plumber who said they were open sewer lines. I screened them out and concreted over them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 06:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
If you are getting sewage backing up the floor drains are somehow connected to the black water sewage lines. In many areas that is now illegal but it was common long ago. Since your house is old and has been "modified" it's really anyone's guess what you have.

You mentioned having your line rodded once a month. What lines were rodded and has anyone ever used a power auger or run a camera down the lines?

In my town the city's responsibility ends at the property line. So from the sewer to the curb they will verify that things are flowing freely. The line from the curb to the house can be a totally different issue. I'm wondering if you have a partial clog that is only backing up when the flow is heavier.

Old 01-15-14, 07:11 AM
S
I'm confused. You said you're getting sewer backup out of the floor drains, but you said you sealed off the 3 floor drains that were connected to the sewer line. Is that correct?

Old 01-16-14, 07:09 AM
T
Forgot to mention I left one of the floor drains open. I did have someone come out and try to clean out the line but, he said he was hitting some really hard obstruction about 15 feet away from the main plumbing stack.