Loud dripping sound heard while draining the sink

Old 01-15-14, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud dripping sound heard while draining the sink

I noticed recently sometimes if someone is draining water from second floor bathroom sink, I can hear loud dripping (or knocking) sound downstairs. The sound went away in 30 sec. I first thought something is vibrating downstairs, but later on I confirm the sound is from above the ceiling. I monitored the ceiling for a couple of weeks, and haven't noticed any water leak. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 12:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are there bathrooms or kitchens above you? You could be sharing drains and literally hearing residual water dripping.

Old 01-15-14, 12:47 PM
This is a two story SFH. I have two side-by-side bathrooms on the second floor. The noise seems to be from only one. I can hear the sound on the first floor which is kitchen.

Old 01-17-14, 06:56 AM
I did some tests at home last night. With the same sink, I was upstairs, and my wife was downstairs. I first started with running cold water. No noise. Collected enough cold water and drained it, no noise. Running hot water, the noise appeared in about 15 sec. I can hear it hehind the wall on the second floor, and my wife heard it above the ceiling. It is loud, fast, high frequent knocking/tapping sound. Turned off faucet, the frequent noise stopped immediately. But in the next 5 min, you still can hear knocking sound every 15 sec or so until it completely went away.

So it might be air in the pipe or thermal expansion. What can I do?

Old 01-17-14, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Running hot water from shower, sink?