Washing Machine Water Hook Up Valve Leak

Old 01-16-14, 06:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine Water Hook Up Valve Leak

Hi Everyone

Thanks in advance for any help. I've attached a photo to illustrate my issue.

I just installed a new washing machine and in doing so - I noticed that my hot water valve is leaking and does not shut off entirely.

My question is (and I hope the picture helps) do you think that I can just unscrew the valve or do you think that it is soldered on?

I trying not to rip open the wall to see - so was just checking with experts to see if you think I could just unscrew the valve and put on a new one.

Any help and information is appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-14, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Where is the valve leaking? Is it leaking from the stem right below the handle? Does it leak out the outlet even when turned off? Or, is it leaking where the faucet meets the house's plumbing? Where it is leaking from will tell us what needs fixing. The good news is that the first two leak locations can be easily fixed from the top where it's accessible.

Old 01-17-14, 07:59 AM
S
Thanks for the note - it is leaking from the stem (I tried tightening the packing nut and it started leaking more). I could try to replace the packing washer which would be fine but the valve its self doesn't shut off entirely. The washer inside has a crack in it and so I can't shut off the water - so the whole valve needs to be replaced I assume?

Old 01-17-14, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
You should be able to replace the washer inside the valve. Turn off the water to the house at the main shutoff, open a faucet to relieve the pressure. The you should be able to disassemble your valve to replace the washer and stem packing. You really want to avoid replacing the valve if you can help it as that would probably require opening the wall to access the piping.

Old 01-17-14, 09:45 AM
S
Ok - thanks wasn't sure if could disassemble the valve. Just take the handle off - remove the packing nut and I'll be able to access the broken washer inside the valve?

Old 01-17-14, 02:56 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Most likely those valves are soldered in place. To open the valve you will need to first turn off the water before those valves, most likely at the main water shut-off for the house, and then unscrew the "bonnet" from the valve body by using the wrench on the hex below the packing nut. This will allow the stem and bonnet assembly to be unscrewed and give you access to the disc (washer) on the stem. You need to securely hold the body of the valve to prevent breaking the soldered joint of the incoming water piping in the wall. The bonnet-to-body joint will likely be very tight.

Old 01-17-14, 06:53 PM
S
Thanks - I see what you mean - will give that a try.

Old 01-17-14, 07:52 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I should have mentioned that it is imperative that you have the valve open a turn or two before putting it back together. Failure to do so will make it impossible to properly tighten the bonnet-to-body joint.