Sillcock hose bib and vacuum breaker

Old 01-16-14, 07:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sillcock hose bib and vacuum breaker

I recently purchased a sillcock hose bid to replace my previous hose bib that burst because of the cold weather. I also replaced my vacuum breaker since it was fine thread and the new sillcock didn't have fine threads.
Everything hooked up fine, but I noticed a few drips and not sure if that's normal. On the sillcock near the spigot/handle there is a small hole on the stem. Water is dropping from this small hole. No where on the sillcock instructions does it mention this hole or the purpose it serves.

Is this hole normal? Is it supposed to slow drip? I'm assuming now since it wouldn't be very "green" to waste water. How do you prevent this drip? It was manufactured with a hole and I purchased this from lowes.

Now on the vacuum breaker there are holes that goes around the circumference of the breaker. There is a slow drip that comes out of these holes. My previous breaker didn't do this. I've read a few postings that if you have high water pressure it can cause drips but my water pressure is far from high.

Does anyone have any advice? Information?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 07:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh the sillcock has an anti-siphon valve on top and from what I've been reading the anti siphon is a vacuum breaker. Is that correct? If so I'm assuming the sillcock with anti siphon doesn't need a vacuum breaker. My previous hose bib didn't have a anti siphon on top

Old 01-17-14, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
Can you post a picture of your spigot? I am confused when you mention the threads and replacing your vacuum breaker. Normally that is part of the spigot and not something you swap from an old one to your new spigot. But yes, the anti siphon and vacuum breaker are the same thing. If your old spigot had it screwed onto the outlet where a hose may attach then it was added after the spigot was installed, probably to bring it up to modern code. Most new ones have it built in and don't need it added on.

Where is your spigot dripping? Is yours dripping from the anti siphon valve on top? If so, do you leave a hose attached to the spigot?