Shark Bite Fittings

Old 01-19-14, 09:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shark Bite Fittings

I have used Shark bite connectors for the last several years with no issues. Until these last two times on the same repair job. I had a previous repair (shown in picture 2) fail. It appears to me the failure was pressure induced that caused the metal fitting to open causing a void between the Shark bite connection and the copper supply pipe. The application was to repair a outside faucet that leaked inside a wall in my basement when my pipe froze. I had no issue with that happening because we had extremely cold weather lately -15 degrees F.

I do have an issue with the second failure (picture 1) as a repair coupling did the same thing, except the outside temp was 20-30 degrees F.

I'm beginning to think that the shark bite system is not robust enough for extreme weather conditions or for an outside faucet application.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 09:30 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't have any experience with sharkbites, but if the line keeps freezing, then that is the problem. Perhaps it is time for a freeze proof sill coq. Did you shut the water off to this faucet and drain it prior to freezing temps?

Old 01-19-14, 01:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
Did you have a question or need advice about something in particular?

Push connect fittings are great for convenience but they are expensive and don't offer structural strength. They do not tolerate movement of the pipes and don't like strain or bending forces. That said they are rated and have a long history of working reliably at residential water pressures. Having multiple problems like you photos show alludes that something else is going on. Are you on city water? Do you have a pressure reducing valve on the supply to the home? As for the second failure at the hose bib during record cold weather... well, there are very few metal fittings or pipes that can survive freezing water.