Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Drainpipe to bathroom sink - unknown coupler and advice for proper coupling

Old 01-25-14, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am trying to reassemble a bathroom sink drain. I am not familiar with the rubber adapter/coupler that was in place between the (larger) wall drainpipe and (smaller) drain extension.

Should I reuse this coupler and if so what kind of sealant or whatnot (if any) should be used where the two rubber parts mate?

Or is there better coupler I should get? Problem is the drainpipe barely extends beyond the wall, and access is not great without breaking things which I would rather not do. Thanks for any advice.

Name:  IMG_20140125_223809b.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  34.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 02:55 AM
Received 58 Votes on 56 Posts
So long as it threads on securly you should have no problem. You might want to buy new one's only because they will be clean and the thread will be new and not worn. And yes replace the rubber washer. I would use a brass brush to clean the threads on the unit comming out if the wall section. If you want you can use some teflon tape, although its not necessary. Hand but very firm tighten should all that is needed.

Old 01-26-14, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It looks like that trap adapter in your hand just needs to be re glued with abs cement....

If so and you re-glue let it dry overnight... There is not a lot of pipe there coming out the wall.....

Old 01-26-14, 05:44 AM
Received 58 Votes on 56 Posts
It looks like that trap adapter in your hand just needs to be re glued with abs cement....

If so and you re-glue let it dry overnight... There is not a lot of pipe there coming out the wall.....

I thought that at first glance also. But perhaps my eyes deceive me.

If that is in fact cemented on, I would suggest gluing on an adapter and go with a slipnut fitting. That would also give a little more pipe to work with.

Old 01-26-14, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have mentioned the drainpipe in the wall has no threads (left?).

The plastic adapter on the drain extension side seems to tighten securely although to be sure I could try to replace that one. I can't tell how secure it is on the drainpipe side but it isn't moving or slipping.

So I should clean up then reglue with standard ABS cement where the adapter parts meet? No need to apply anything around the smaller pipe to help seal it within the drainpipe?

Old 01-26-14, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I would get a new trap adapter... Clean the little piece of pipe sticking out the wall and relue...

Let dry over night...

Also replace the trap and arm with PVC... Get rid of the chrome tubular...

Old 01-27-14, 09:20 PM
Did this and so far so good. Thanks!

Old 01-27-14, 09:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That sure looks like what little pipe there was sticking out snapped off inside the adaptor.