Broken stem inside old shower knob

Old 01-28-14, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken stem inside old shower knob

Hello DIY. First time poster here. I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed some rotten drywall around my shower knobs (old three knob arrangement). I removed the knobs with the intention of replacing them (but not the pipes) and two of the stems broke off with the knobs. They were fused. I've attached two photos that show the three pipes and two broken stems, as well as the stem I'm talking about broken off inside one of the knobs. What are my next steps to repair or replace these stems? I may not be using the right terminology.
Thank you

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-14, 12:33 AM
Well , my reaction would be to bite the bullet and start shopping for a new faucet . :-(

I happen to like single handle faucets . So , I would take it as an opportunity to go with a single handle model .

God bless
Wyr

PS I think I see one or more iron / steel fittings on the old faucet ? I am finding a few of those types of errors in out house . Each instance , the iron / steel , mixed with copper , is corroded / rusted . And leaking , has leaked at one time or looks to be about to leak . :-(

Dissimilar metals , in the presence of a water solution , is a BAD practice ! :-(

Old 01-29-14, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Your stems can not be repaired but if you take them to a home center or plumbing supplier you probably can find replacements. The questing is do you want to put new stems in a old faucet, especially since you have the wall opened up? It's a perfect time to replace the faucet There is not much that can go wrong with your valve body but the seats can wear over time. Personally I'd replace the faucet.

Old 01-29-14, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those chrome extension tubes needed to come off to get the stems off.
But I agree, far better look, two less places for the wall to leak, simpler to repair and look more modern with a single handled faucet.

Old 01-29-14, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Additionally IMO install a Moen....