Removing brass fitting from copper pipe?

Old 01-30-14, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing brass fitting from copper pipe?

We are attempting to replace the sink in the bathroom and (not) shockingly, there is a problem. The cold water shut off wouldn't turn off completely, so we figured we'd replace the shut off. Turned the main water supply off and went to remove the old shut off. Unfortunately the pipe leading to the shut off essentially tore a hole in itself. We went to Lowe's, got a pipe cutter, brush thing for the outside of the pipe and a push-on replacement shut off. Get home and the new shut-off won't fit on the pipe. We now realize that there is a piece of brass (I believe) over the copper pipe coming from the wall that went into the old shut off. It isn't more than 1/8" thick, but it makes the pipe too thick to fit into the shut-off.

It looks like it has a stainless type coating on it, but when sanded down, looks like brass. Any idea how to get this connector off so we can access the copper? This piece is at least an inch long and if we cut it off, we'd have very little copper before hitting tile.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-14, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hello and welcome....

Its most likely soldered on... I dont think they make them anymore and will try to find a pic... I used those in the 80's... It was a valve with a sleeve to give the copper pipe a chrome look for a high end finish...

Old 01-30-14, 10:33 AM
Thanks! That sounds like what we've got. How can I remove a soldered pipe?

Old 01-30-14, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
These were angle stops with a sweat extension....

PITA to get off... Need good solder skills.. Need to heat whole extension to get off then wipe pipe..

Best to install new sweat valve and do not use the push on unless you can clean the pipe really good...

That is if you can get it off...

Please dont start a fire in the wall.....

You need to find where the extension ends...

KTCS40BX-C - Brasscraft KTCS40BX-C - 1/2" Nom. Sweat x 3/8" OD Comp. Angle Stop Valve w/ 5" Sweat Extension Tube

Old 01-30-14, 10:43 AM
Blerg. Well, thanks for the info. I've got a call into our local plumber, as this feels like I could mess it up even more if I keep trying to work on it. Thank you for the quick replies though - very appreciated!

Old 01-30-14, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
OK.. Sorry its not really DIY friendly..

Let us know how it turns out with the plumber...

While he is under there have him change the other one too....