Where in the hell is this water coming from?

Old 01-30-14, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where in the hell is this water coming from?

We've been in this cold snap and yesterday a copper line froze and broke under our master bedroom. The good thing is that it was a pipe that only went to an outside spigot, and it had been tee'd off the water supply line to the toilet in our master bathroom.

The bad thing is that I had to shut off all the cold water to the master bathroom to fix it.

Anyway, through the access door thing into the crawlspace (from our bedroom) I found the line, and figured easy enough, I'll just cut it off and put on a cap. I cut the line, and there was water in it, but I figured it was just water that was trapped from when I shut it off earlier.

Well, I was working in this area for the next 15+ minutes and an almost steady stream of water was coming out of the pipe the entire time. I even went and shut off the main water valve to the house and the water was still coming out of this line. There was enough that I could not solder on a cap, I had to go get a sharkbite cap. Where could this water possibly be coming from for THAT long? The only things past the cold water valve are the shower, toilet and sink in our master bathroom.

Now my problem is that whoever tee'd the line used a compression tee...and it's leaking where it comes out of the tee because I moved the line slightly, and I can't reach it, or get the line out of the tee...and I also can't fit into the crawlspace opening because it's about 1' x 2'. It's also still constantly dripping water. I want to scream right now.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-14, 05:47 PM
Well crap, I may have answered my own question. I went to the master bathroom and turned on the cold water at the sink (with the valve still off) and water came out for a second or two. So apparently my cold water shut off valve is not closing completely.

Old 01-30-14, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Shut off the water at the meter in your yard if you don't have a shut off in the house. Then with the cut in the pipe open, open every other faucet and shower in the house to drain the water from the pipes. That is the water you saw dribbling for ever. Also, cut the valve at the hot water tank.

Once clear of residual water, your repairs will progress much easier.

Old 01-30-14, 06:31 PM
I got a guy coming over tomorrow that can actually fit into the crawlspace...so I'm gonna shut the main off in the morning and open faucets, hopefully it'll be dry by the time he comes in the evening.

Pain in the butt!