venting new bathroom on main floor.. will this work??

Old 01-31-14, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
venting new bathroom on main floor.. will this work??

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan a new bathroom on our main floor that's directly below the one on our main floor. The pictures below say it all, but in essence I'm trying to vent a sink and toilet without running pipes up the wall at the fixture locations. I've got lots of space in the basement to work with, so I've come up with a few ideas.. Will any/all of these work for me?

In terms of local code, I haven't found a good guide, so I'm trying to wade through the actual code as I can. It looks to me like any of these configurations could arguably meet the maximum length to trap. However, there is a bit in there that says that the vent must attach to the fixture above its flood line. I don't understand how this is possible considering that the flood line of a typical vanity is pretty much level with the outer surface of the vanity.

As I said, I'm finding the plumbing code opaque, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Eldon

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 02:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A few questions first. I assume that you meant to say that the proposed bathroom, on the main floor will be directly below the bathroom, on the second floor. Check you first sentence. The next question is, according to diagram the sink drains into the lead bend & then go to the stack. Is that correct?

Do the red vertical lines on the second floor bath represent the current venting system or is that part of the proposed vent?

Old 01-31-14, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the typo, you're right that I meant I'm trying to plan a bath on the main floor and there is an existing one right above it.

The connection between the sink drain and the toilet drain is simplified on both the main and upper floors. On the upper floor, it looks like they are connected with a horizontal wye, just after the closet bend. I hadn't thought about how I'd connect the two on the main floor just yet.

The red lines in the diagram are vent lines, both old and proposed. Vent lines servicing the main floor bath would of course be the proposed ones.

Anyhow, I've done more research into the problem, and it's looking like due to the sink vent needing to connect above the trap and the maximum fixture tail being 24 inches, none of those ideas would work.

It's looking to me like an AAV would be the only way to go if I don't want to run a vent in the wall behind the sink (space restrictions in the room). Sound right to you?

As for the toilet, I'm under the impression that the toilet will need a vent, since there are fixtures above on the same stack. Need to look in my local code book to confirm...

Pic of what I propose:Name:  PROPOSED 4.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 02-01-14, 05:18 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Does the main drain vent through the foundation on the first floor? That's how the first floor toilet was vented, in my parent's house. Follow the pipes, in the cellar. As for the sink, where do you plan to locate the AAV?

Old 02-01-14, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
That big red line from first floor to upper floor vent is useless... Can you tie where the AAV is to that line?

Also the red vents on the first floor... Is that what you assume is there?

Old 02-01-14, 05:59 PM
I was thinking of putting the AAV inside the vanity. Onatrio code calls for the AAV to be above the flood line of the fixture, but then it also allows them for use in island sinks (which must be below flood line), so I imagine it depends on how the inspector feels that day.

Old 02-01-14, 06:02 PM
Hmm, I've had others say that the vent between the main floor toilet and stack is necessary.. To each their own.

Can't tie from the AAV is to the upper vents because I don't want to run pipes behind the sink/toilet (space constraints).

There're currently no vents on the main floor because there's nothing to vent.. If you're asking whether I'm making assumptions about the 2nd floor vents, the answer is no. That's how they're laid out.

Old 02-01-14, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Onatrio code calls for the AAV to be above the flood line of the fixture,
Then you already have your answer to this question...

I've had others say that the vent between the main floor toilet and stack is necessary..

It depends who these others are...

If you're asking whether I'm making assumptions about the 2nd floor vents, the answer is no. That's how they're laid out.

So the existing bath is vented in two places, the toilet and the sink?

If so that was not needed since the sink only needs to be vented. The toilet is vented when you vent the sink..

I can only tell you the code in the states as I know it... Canadian codes may be different and its probably best to call your local authority...