Slow Siphon.

Old 02-01-14, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow Siphon.

I posted this problem months ago, looking for a tip.

On 2nd floor of a 4 story condo, my toilet will lose 1 inch of water out of the lower bowl when the 3rd floor toilet is flushed. If the laundry machine/toilet is emptied from the 3rd, the water rocks in my toilet. If I drain my bath tub (2nd floor) it rocks, but less than when the 3rd floors is empty. Immediately after filling, it will slowly (30 seconds) lose 1/8 inch of water, then hold fine until the toilet above it is flushed.

When it got windy outside (lots of leaves / sticks blowing around), a slight gurgle occurred.

The vent on that line has been snaked, twice. The toilet has been replaced, the line was snaked when it was open. Bathtub was snaked through overflow. Sink was snaked through trap. The gurgled ended after the vent was snaked.

Still, the toilet siphons 1/8" after filling and when the upstairs flushes. The plumber suggested opening a wall/removing pipes to see inside it, but I can imagine the headache (cost) cutting/replacing metal pipe. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am pulling the toilet in a few days to recheck/snake it to the main again... if it were say a paper obstruction how big would it have to be to effect me this bad?

Last edited by dabbin; 02-01-14 at 03:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-14, 04:28 AM
Camera

Instead of busting open the wall for an inspection , look for a plumber with an inspection snake / camera to feed down the vent ( from the roof ) .

Or , if you are willing to try it your self , something like these ?

Amazon.com: (15m) 45ft USB Cable Waterproof Drain Pipe Pipeline Plumb Inspection Snake LED Video Color Camera: Camera & Photo

Robot Check

10m 30ft USB Cable Waterproof Drain Pipe Pipeline Plumb Inspection Snake LED Video Color Camera: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

There are some on ebay , also .

Do not know what you are paying for a plumber , but something like this would probably be cheaper ?

Just do not drop your laptop off the roof . Or , yourself ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-01-14, 09:32 PM
Well that makes a little more sense than knocking down walls, i'll put the hammer down.

Thanks, hopefully now I'll get this resolved or at least figured out soon.

Old 02-02-14, 04:35 AM
I doubt you would have a paper obstruction for this long.

I'm no plumbing expert, but it sounds like the venting in your home was not properly done.

Old 02-02-14, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
How old is the building/plumbing system? Can you tell approximately how far the toilets are from the main stack? I assume they are stacked on top of each other?

It's typical for the water to "rock" on windy days or when the drain is being used, but the point of the venting is so the traps aren't drained.

Old 02-02-14, 10:43 AM
Building is 20 years old, water doesn't rock due to outside factors (That I notice), only when bath tubs/laundry machines drain down the line. Toilet flushes siphon a bit, tub/washer just rock the water. Toilets are in the exact same position (2nd/3rd floor, i'm 2nd) about 9-10 feet apart vertically.

It never did this when I moved in, started 8 months after I moved in. The 1st and 3rd floor (4th is on a different drain line) do not have this issue, just me.