toilet drain

Old 02-01-14, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet drain

the drain in my 2nd bathroom is leaking at a solder joint very very slowly .I only discovered it yesterday as I was in my crawl space to get something out of there .My pipes are all copper and it is a pinhole leak should I try to resolder or cut it out put in abs or try that jb weld stuff my house is about 40 years old .not sure what my best fix would be

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-14, 05:08 AM
I am surprised , you said toilet drain ? In copper ?

How easy or how difficult would it be to get to , to replace ?

If it is difficult to get to replace , I would be tempted to try to re-solder it . Either with soft solder or braze / silver solder it with something like Sil-Fos ?

Another field engineering solution would be one of the band strap repair clamps . Something like these .

ROMAC | Repair Clamps

Of course , if the whole line is corroded , internally , to the point it is like egg shells , the only practical answer is replace it . And one of the band clamps / straps might crush it ?

Might try squeezing it & see if it crushes . Only if you are prepared to replace it .

I do not know what your plumbing codes are , but if it were me ( and you do have to replace it ) , I would use PVC . Be sure to mechanically support / strap everything properly .

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-01-14, 05:36 AM
my first thought was replace must be corroded hit it with hammer all around solid a day it was put in I am going to try solder I thing my problem is I am the worlds worst solder person but going to take time drain been empty all night

Old 02-01-14, 10:09 AM
Since this is a drain , nor potable / drinking water , I would consider using tin / lead solder ( some where 50/50 to 95/5 ) instead of the new lead free solder .

I may be wrong , but I think the tin / lead solder is easier to use and may melt at lower temperature ?

You might even make a " patch " out of a piece of copper pipe , to go on top of it ?

In any event , use a wire brush and / or emery clorh and polish the heck out of the copper . Flux the heck out of it . When you start getting it almost hot enough to melt solder , take the flux brush and smear some more flux onto it .
Keep touching the end of the solder to the hot copper until it starts melting the solder . The heat of the copper should melt the solder . That way you have a much better chance of the solder holding .

Do not just direct the flame of the torch at the solder , to melt the solder . When the copper is hot enough , it will really flow and spread out . The flux helps keep the metal clean and free enough of oxidation , so you have a good surface for the solder to stick to .

When finished , just let the pipe cool naturally . Hopefully this is just a pin hole defect in the pipe and not a symptom or wide spread corrosion , from the inside out .

God bless

Wyr