Bypass Valve Needed at Softner/filter setup?

Old 02-02-14, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypass Valve Needed at Softner/filter setup?

I installed a Fleck 5600 and a new sediment filter. There were already stops in place on the inlet and outlet side of the equipment and the outside spigots are plumbed so they are getting hard water. The softener has a basic fleck bypass valve and the filter does NOT have a inhead bypass or valve.

If the softners bypass valve needs removing, it shuts the who house off. However, you can remove the control head of the softener from the valve and place it in the bypass position. If the filter needs service also the house is shut off.

Should I have installed another bypass valve in this case?

Or does the bypass valve just at the softener adaquete?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 09:28 AM
hi rards Ė

Iím not a pro or expert by any means, just a newbie. I installed an Acid Neutralizer Filter tank with a Fleck 2510 on it, upstream of my existing sediment filter. I too have the Fleck Bypass Valve on the Fleck Valve. I wrestled with the same question: should I put in bypass piping and ball valves in addition to the Fleck Bypass Valve that is attached to the Fleck 2510.

I decided not to because I figured:

(1) there is little chance that the bypass valve itself will need servicing and if it does from what I see that servicing is pretty simple and quick

(2) there is almost no chance that the sediment filter will need servicing Ė other than the normal periodic change of the filter cartridge, which takes about 2 minutes. Seems to me the sediment filter is such a simple device there isnít much to go wrong there. Mine hasnít been a problem in the 12 years Iíve lived here.

But the more I think about it I guess the above reasons are beside the point since I believe the pros say bypass piping for all the equipment is there so that if you ever change your equipment (e.g., adding/removing filters, softeners, etc) you can bypass all your equipment and keep the house supplied with untreated water while the work is being done.

Just seems to me that major changes would be very infrequent and you would not think the work would take days Ė but that may be a bad assumption on my part. But on the other hand I guess there isnít much that can go wrong with some bypass piping and an extra ball valve or two, it isnít a great deal of extra expense, and you would in fact still have (untreated) water while you were making changes to the equipment configuration.

(However in my case I have one filter I would not want to bypass Ė the UV filter which kills the germs.)

Seems to me in your case you can service your softener, mess with the Fleck 5600 valve , tank, etc. while still supplying water to your home using that Fleck bypass valve. I donít see why it would be that important to have bypass piping. But what do I know? LOL

Maybe the pros will have a different opinion. Like to hear it myself!

Old 02-04-14, 04:18 PM
Zoesdad that was pretty much my rationale for not installing an extra one either...

Maybe someone else can chime in and make us both feel better for not having the extra shutoff! I also realized I didn't put in pressure gauges before and after the filter like I maybe should have but that's for another thread.

Old 02-04-14, 04:27 PM
I keep all kinds of info I find on these things. If I find anything relevant I overlooked I'll be sure to post back.