Natural Gas Line to Gas Range

Old 02-04-14, 09:21 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural Gas Line to Gas Range

Good morning, I would like some opinions on the situation below if possible:

* I've have a Frigidaire Gas Range that was first used in January of 2013

* In October of 2013 we smelled gas and called the gas company out. They detected two small leaks. One in the utility closet, on one of the building pipes (not the main gas line owned by the gas company) and a small leak behind the stove. So they shut the gas off and told us to contact the builder.

*Everything was still under warranty so the builders plumber came out. He repaired the leak in the Utility room and behind the stove (he also replaced the flex pipe). I was not home at the time, but he also cut a small hole in the wall behind the stove to check another connection. He checked for leaks and declared it safe and left. This is when the real trouble started.

*I started noticing that when I lite the burners, the flame would go down really low or out completely and then rush back in.

*Twice I lit the burner, and turned it to a medium setting, and walked away. Only to discover 30 seconds later that I smelled gas and the burner was completely out!!! Now after I re-lite it, it stayed on and ran fine.

* I call the builder and his warranty people and the plumber says "it's not a plumbing issue it's a stove issue" I say to him, well nothing was wrong with the stove before you worked on the pipes!

* The builder agrees with the plumber and calls the stove warranty guy out (this is in December). He come out, and observes the same thing, the burner on the first try lites, the flame goes down really low, and then it shoots back on. He says "that's an odd problem", it may be the regulator on the back of the stove OR trash/air in the gas flex pipe. But he agrees to change out the regulator on the stove. He does that and then checks the stove, and all looks fine. Well a few hours later I go to turn on the stove, and same thing!!! The burner lites, flame goes down, and shoots back in. It only does it when it's be off for a hour or so.

*I call the builder back and say hey it's not the stove because it's still doing that maybe we should check the flex pipe or lines for debris. He says no the stove repair guy didn't fix the problem, "I will deal with him later" let just get you a completely new stove

*They bring the new stove out, and the builders plumber reluctantly installs it. He never checks the pipe or flex pipe while he is at it, he just connects the flex pipe directly to the new stove and checks for leaks. He lights the stove and everything looks fine.

*He leaves, and a few hours later I try the stove. Bam! same problem

*So the builder and his plumbers jerk me around the whole month of January saying they will try to diagnose the problem but they aren't sure what is wrong.

*So they reluctantly again send a new plumber from the same company out to look at the stove. He lites it, and the flame goes down, but not all the way out and he says "oh that's normal". I tell him no it's not, the stove never did this prior to the repairs to the flex pipe and whatever else they fixed in October

*I also show him the video I recorded from earlier that week were it went all the way out and shot back in. "he says maybe they are working on the gas pipes in the area and air got into the line". He was of no help

* Now they are saying that they will give me another stove

*Note, this does not occur all of the time and it only happens when you intially lite the stove after it's off for an hour or more

*Most people I've shown the video to says that it's either the regulator on the stove or something in the flex pipe that's partially blocking the gas flow.

My question is has anyone ever experienced this?

Why are they refusing to check the pipes and just simply want to give me a new stove?

I'm at a lost it's been almost four months with no resolution to this issue. I would love to post the video on this site, but I don't know if I can.

Just imagine you lite the stove, set it to say a medium or high temperature. Then the flame dies down or goes out to you can't see it and then jumps back in at a normal height.

Thanks

Old 02-04-14, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Hello and welcome...

First thing that needs to be done is the pressures need to be checked... Static and dynamic...

After that baseline then you can move further along to other possibilities...

Could be an issue at the gas meter or regulator outside.. Could be another appliance is turning on and the stove is being startved for gas..

Since they changed the stove, I dont really think thats the issue at this point....

I doubt its debris or the flex line itself....

Pics would help if you can post them...

Old 02-04-14, 09:43 AM
A
Thanks Lawrosa. I'll try to post a few pictures here. That is what I was afraid of. I'm not sure this sub-contractor they have doing the plumbing has the proper equipment to check those things. I'm flustered with them, and can't figure out why they won't call a real company that would be able to check the things you mentioned. Let's see if I can get some pictures up for you.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-04-14, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Call the gas company... They will at least check the gas pressures outside and their regulator at no charge... Tell them you have gas fluctuations throughout the home....

Let us know...

Old 02-04-14, 12:05 PM
A
Okay good idea. Will do, and I will let you know the results.

Old 02-04-14, 02:51 PM
Received 357 Votes on 322 Posts
To add to Lawrosa's comments, if the gas company claims all is good on their end and they suspect internal piping is the culprit, I would hire an independent plumber and if he can prove defective materials and/or workmanship, pass the bill to the original company.

Document everything!

After thought. Find out where the gas feed is coming from. Is it coming off the main 3/4 feed pipe or is it tapping off the furnace pipe that would be 1/2". The idea that something else might be drawing off the gas pressure could cause that problem. Do you notice if any other gas appliances might be operating at the same time that this phenomenon occurs?
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 02-05-14, 11:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
I have to second what Norm said about documenting everything. Dates, times, who showed up, what they did, what they said. The problem with new construction warranties is that no one wants to spend any time to actually fix the problem. They just want you out of their hair. At some point, they may say that they did everything they need to do, you just have to live with it... which of course is not the right answer.

The gas company can be your best ally, they are typically free and should be a trusted independent entity.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-14, 07:50 AM
A
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Working with the gas company is getting the ball moving so thanks for that tip. So the gas company came out yesterday, to examine. He showed me were the gas companies main pipe came into the condo building and onto my particular floor. He also showed me the regulator and explained that the pressure from that would fluctuate in all of the units on this floor if the regulator there went bad.

So he inspected my individual utility closet after I explained the problem to him. His thoughts were very similar to what you are guys saying with a few added notes.

His thoughts are that when the sub-contractor made the repairs back in October in the utility closet he may have damaged the regulator in there.

Or the compound he used to repair the gas leak back in October may have gotten into the line or piece of Pipe he repaired.

So his first suggestion was to change the regulator in the utility closet and then if that doesn't work to blow the line out with some type of air hose. Last more drastic measure is to remove the entire pipe and replace it. Which I'm sure the builder will try to avoid at all cost.

Norm201 to your questions:

Yes it's coming off of the main pipe, after it passes through a regulator. The other two appliances also have pipes after the regulator. Those two appliances are a tankless water heater and a furnace/HVAC. I don't think the furnace causes it, but I've never checked for that pattern so I'll be on the look out for it.

So next step is, the gas companies rep talked to the builder and the builder finally has agreed to change out the regulator in the utility closet this morning. Hopefully they are smart enough to go ahead and check for that compound also why they are in there messing with the regulator and pipe. I'm home, so I'll be watching them to see what they do.

I'll keep you guys posted and I'll document everything!!!! Thanks again, the recommendation to call the gas company back out was the best things ever.

Old 02-06-14, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Yes let us know......... Thanks.....

Old 02-06-14, 01:08 PM
A
Good news and bad news!!! So the plumbing guys came out, and took the regulator in the utility closet off and prepared to install the new one only to realize that the builder gave them the correct type of regulator specs, but the wrong fitting for the pipe that screws back into the main pipe!!! So the inflow side of the regulator they brought did not fit the pipe!! So they had to place the order for the correct size and that will be in, in tomorrow. In the mean time they went ahead and hook the pipe leading to the stove to a air compressor and blew out the line. Nothing came out, and it was flowing through the pipe well. So they put the old regulator back on for today,checked for leaks and made sure the stove, water heater, and furnace worked. So I waited for almost 1 1/2 hours after they left and tried the stove (which is usually the time frame it sits before I was getting those fluctuation).

Guess what? The stove functioned like it was supposed to, no fluctuations not even a small one! Now I'm still going to let them come back tomorrow and change the regulator just in case.

Do you think it's possible that there may have just been air or something trapped in the line?

It's strange that it seems to be perfectly fine now after they took everything apart. I hope this is the end of this saga, but we will see tomorrow.

Old 02-06-14, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Do you think it's possible that there may have just been air or something trapped in the line?
No.................

Yes let them come back and install the regulator... Im pretty sure that's the issue.........

Can you take pics of it? Just curious is all...

Old 02-06-14, 03:09 PM
Received 357 Votes on 322 Posts
Agree with Lawrosa. Have them change the reg. But don't say anything to them about it seemingly to be working alright. That just might be a temporary situation.
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 02-07-14, 08:11 AM
A
Picture of gas piping in utility closet

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. You were both right, the problem returned last night and this morning. I didn't let them know that it was okay, because I was worried that it would return and it did. I shot video for the one this morning. It actually lit, went out and didn't come back on. But I heard the gas rush back in.

This was before they arrived to replace the max control regulator in the utility closet. It's been about 30 minutes since they put it on, so I'm going to test it out throughout the day and let you guys know if that actually fixed it. Let's hope so, because if not I will be stumped again. Unless by some 1,000 to 1 chance I have another bad stove?????

Also I noticed you can attach video links via youtube, so maybe I will try to do that so you guys can see it in action.

Oh, by the way the pipe on the left is the main gas pipe. The one on the top left is leaving out of the utility closet and headed for the stove. The bottom right one feeds to the furnace (it's out of the picture on the right) and the bottom left one feeds into the tankless water heater (it's out of the picture on the left).

Thanks again

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-14, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, by the way the pipe on the left is the main gas pipe.

You mean top right is the main line coming in correct?

Old 02-07-14, 08:46 AM
A
Yes, correct that is the main gas line coming in. Top right. Sorry.

Thanks

Old 02-07-14, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Cool let us know.. I love happy endings...

Old 02-08-14, 05:08 PM
A
Ha, thanks Lawrosa. So far so good, but with all the problems I've had over the last 4 months. I'm going to give it a few more days, before I say solved. You guys have been a great help, I'll post what is hopefully a final update on let's say.... Tuesday.

Thanks again

Old 02-15-14, 06:18 PM
A
It's been a week guys, and no more issues. So problem solved, it was the max control regulator! Don't know why they refused to check the pipe and regulator from the start. I won't complain too much since I got a new stove and warranty out of all the hassle.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: