How would I redirect my sink pipe drain in order for new vanity to fit?

Old 02-05-14, 02:40 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How would I redirect my sink pipe drain in order for new vanity to fit?

I bought a new vanity that was on sale at home depot that won't fit because of the position of the drain pipe. If I could just raise where the drain comes out of the wall it would fit perfectly. Is this a project a novice could do? Or should I return the vanity and find one that already fits? See picture for details.

Edit: For some reason the picture is appearing rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The wood pegs seen at the right of the picture are where the rest of the vanity will sit. The drain pipe is positioned at the same level as where the rest of the vanity meets the legs.

Attached Images  

Last edited by kirscha2; 02-05-14 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Rotate Picture
Old 02-05-14, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
What type of vanity or sink do you have that requires the drain moved up? Generally a height variation is easily accommodated with the slip compression fittings of the trap assembly.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 02-05-14 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-05-14, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.......

Can you clarify that you need to "Raise" the drain???

It does not make sense to me, possibly you could explain better...

Old 02-05-14, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you are saying the drain on the wall seems too low in relation to the sink, and your drain setup looks like the picture that Pilot Dane posted, it's likely that the tailpiece needs to be cut a little shorter. Or you need to loosen the tailpiece-p trap slip fitting (in the picture, that's where the chrome meets the pvc) and push the p trap farther onto the tailpiece.

But if you are saying that there is a gap between your new sink and the top of the tailpiece, then the tailpiece needs to be longer. You may find that you can spread the tailpiece out of the slip fitting and make it longer. Or you may need a longer tailpiece extension. (in that case, the chrome piece would need to be longer.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: