How would I redirect my sink pipe drain in order for new vanity to fit?


Old 02-05-14, 02:40 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How would I redirect my sink pipe drain in order for new vanity to fit?

I bought a new vanity that was on sale at home depot that won't fit because of the position of the drain pipe. If I could just raise where the drain comes out of the wall it would fit perfectly. Is this a project a novice could do? Or should I return the vanity and find one that already fits? See picture for details.

Edit: For some reason the picture is appearing rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The wood pegs seen at the right of the picture are where the rest of the vanity will sit. The drain pipe is positioned at the same level as where the rest of the vanity meets the legs.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kirscha2; 02-05-14 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Rotate Picture
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-14, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 20,787
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
What type of vanity or sink do you have that requires the drain moved up? Generally a height variation is easily accommodated with the slip compression fittings of the trap assembly.


Last edited by Pilot Dane; 02-05-14 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-05-14, 05:12 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,799
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.......

Can you clarify that you need to "Raise" the drain???

It does not make sense to me, possibly you could explain better...
Old 02-05-14, 05:15 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 23,115
Received 190 Votes on 179 Posts
If you are saying the drain on the wall seems too low in relation to the sink, and your drain setup looks like the picture that Pilot Dane posted, it's likely that the tailpiece needs to be cut a little shorter. Or you need to loosen the tailpiece-p trap slip fitting (in the picture, that's where the chrome meets the pvc) and push the p trap farther onto the tailpiece.

But if you are saying that there is a gap between your new sink and the top of the tailpiece, then the tailpiece needs to be longer. You may find that you can spread the tailpiece out of the slip fitting and make it longer. Or you may need a longer tailpiece extension. (in that case, the chrome piece would need to be longer.)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: