Can you Change a soil stack clean out to a sanitary t?

Old 02-06-14, 04:58 PM
Can you Change a soil stack clean out to a sanitary t?

I'm finishing my basement and in the bathroom area I have my soil stack which currently has a cleanout on it. However, the cleanout plug faces where my shower is going to be and is right against where the shower wall will be. I am going to make a pipe chase behind the shower so I have access to the soil stack clean out. My question is how do I rotate the drain cleanout 90 degrees so I have a straight run for my pipe chase? Can I install a Sanitary T (in place of the cleanout T) on the soil stack connected to a straight run of pipe and have a access plug at the end of the straight pipe? I'm trying to keep the shower as big as possible 36'x48" and if I connect a 90 degree bend to the clean out it will reduce my shower length to around 42" (if I can even do that). Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-14, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Hello and welcome ...............

Yes you can do what you propose...

PVC or cast?

Use no hub fittings if needed if you cant glue it all together because of close tolerances.......

Old 02-06-14, 06:18 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! It's 3" PVC. What do you mean use no hub fittings? I'm assuming I can just cut the soil stack above and below the clean out t and put the sanitary t in its place, correct? Or do I need to cut through the clean out t and break it off piece by piece from the main soil stack? What about actually seating the two portions of soil stack in the sanitary t? Any advice on how to get the two soil stack pieces into the sanitary t?

Old 02-06-14, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
I can just cut the soil stack above and below the clean out t and put the sanitary t in its place, correct?
You could but will need to add couplings ... If glue couplings do you have play in the stack? I doubt you do..

With that said code dictates no hubs with a band...

The rubber can be rolled back so you can fit the tee.. Then roll it back, slide the bad over and tighten...

Old 02-06-14, 06:45 PM
I can use this for PVC pipe to PVC sanitary t? All I'm seeing is for a connection from PVC to cast iron. Also, is there a pipe clean out plug that will fit right into the straight run of horizontal PVC pipe run? All I'm seeing it a clean out t which obviously won't work? Sorry for my simple questions!

Old 02-06-14, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
You need a san tee and you glue two small pieces of pipe in the ends...

Then use the coupling I hsow.. They make them for pvc to pvc... Get at any home store..

IMO your better off using a Y if your adding a length of pipe to the clean out end. This way the snake goes down and not up...

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-06-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 07:17 PM
Got it, thank you so much for your advice, I really can't thank you enough!

Old 02-06-14, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Like this...