Sump Well Odors

Old 03-02-01, 10:16 PM
Visiting Guest
In my house, the laundry water drains into the sump well, where it is then taken out via a sump pump. A sewer-like odor had been coming from the sump well. I removed the sump pump and proceeded to clean out the well. I discovered a large amount(6 inches deep) of smelly, black sewer sludge that had built up over the years.(I don't know how long - the house is 35 years old; I've been here for 3 years). After removing the sludge and cleaning the inside of the well as best as I could, I poured about 2 cups of laundry bleach into the sump well and placed the pump back in. My question - is this sewer sludge build up normal? Is there anything I can do to prevent this build up in the future? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-01, 10:58 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your laundry drains into a sump well and is then pumped out by a sump pump? Where does it go from there? I am assuming that this sump well is covered and properly vented.

Old 03-03-01, 08:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Sump Well Odor

The sump water is taken out directly to the sewer. The sump well is covered. There is no venting mechanism.

Old 03-03-01, 09:09 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know of any sure-fire way to prevent the sludge build up. You might try one of the drain cleaners that contain enzymes and see if that will work. The aleternative is to plan on taking the system apart every few years, as needed, and cleaning it.

Old 03-04-01, 07:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty - Thanks for the response. I will give the drain cleaner a try. Sounds reasonable. keo