Adding main shutoff

Old 02-08-14, 03:26 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding main shutoff

I had a pipe burst last weekend and tried to shutoff the main water supply, the CPVC main shutoff valve in the basement was so tight and I was so afraid it'd break.

Finally, I was able to turn it off and fixed the burst. I'm thinking to have a batter valve. The CPVC main shutoff valve is shown in the following photo.

shutoff | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can I adding a brass SharkBite ball valve above the CPVC valve and keep the CPVC valve?

Thanks for advices.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-14, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 839 Votes on 786 Posts
Unless it's an easy job to get the water service turned off..... I'd leave that valve right where it is and add a new valve above it.

Old 02-08-14, 06:38 PM
Y
Thanks.

I could not find outside water meter and shutoff (it's remote meter) and I feel more comfortable to work after the original main shutoff.

Old 02-08-14, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hmmm if you have an outside meter then its easy to turn off as there is a shut off there..

Those PVC valves are worthless IMO..

I would remove the pvc from the copper female adapter, add a brass nipple, add a threaded 3/4" ball valve, and a pvc male adapter in the end of ball valve... Then glue back together...

No soldering needed....

Done!!!!!!

Old 02-09-14, 05:29 AM
Y
I completely agree that those CPVC valves are worthless. I can't believe codes allow them being use as main shutoffs. Some builders/plumbers tried to save few bucks, it could cost home owners 1000's of dollars of water damages. I still have 2 more CPVC shutoffs valves for master bath tub, one of them won't completely shutoff (see below).

CPVC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I agree replacing the CPVC main with brass ball valve will look more professional, I'll try to find the outside shutoff and necessary tools to turn it off.

Thanks

Old 03-05-14, 02:28 PM
Y
Last week, I called County Water and was told water meter was 10' from driveway, I found an old meter well with half cover 10' from driveway filled with soil (left).

I called County Water again, few hours later a truck came and a much larger meter well 5' from driveway was exposed (middle).

The next day the meter well was raised to above ground and I was able to open it and turn off water without special tools (right).

I was glad I called.

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-14, 02:33 PM
Y
Followed advices from pros, I was able to replace the CPVC valve with a lead free full port brass ball valve. The floor of my basement was not even wet after it's done. I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks everyone!

Attached Images