Move Waste Line, Stud in Way

Old 02-12-14, 03:59 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Move Waste Line, Stud in Way

Would anyone have an idea how I can move a waste line for a new pedestal sink from the right side of a load-bearing stud to the center of the left stud edge? There was a vanity there before. This is a tight space and this is the ideal location. There is a crawlspace under the floor. I have attached a picture. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-14, 05:36 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you add studs to both sides of the plumbing & remove that stud in question?

Old 02-13-14, 04:54 AM
F
That is an option, but I think I would have to remove a large section of sheetrock which I am trying to avoid. But maybe that's the right answer. I was hoping to reinforce it with a stud shoe or sister it somehow and it still be strong enough. I am a novice but like learning and doing things myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-13-14, 06:38 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wall should be opened up anyway to add a backer to attach the sink to and change the heights of the drain and supply's and make the supply's closer together.
The dimensions should all be in the install directions that came with the sink.

Old 02-13-14, 06:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Joe. That stud is not bearing all the weight of your bathroom, rest assured. Cut a section of drywall out from the two adjacent studs, cut the stud above and below the plumbing , install a bridge across the top and bottom. That will transfer any weight to the adjacent studs. Now, you can install the 2x8+ across the opening so you will have a nailer backer for the sink body, and will have free space for your drain modification.

Old 02-13-14, 08:45 AM
F
That's a great solution, thanks. Do you think it matters that this bearing wall is on the first floor of a two story house?

Old 02-13-14, 09:04 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was going to mention the bridge also. I would still add the extra studs at least while you are working on it. There is no harm in leaving them there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: