Rough-in Plumbing help

Old 02-12-14, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rough-in Plumbing help

I bought a house 5 years ago brand new and I am now starting to finish the basement. I am working on the framing and plumbing and I am confused.

I have a 3/4 basement and a crawl space. The bathroom is 92"x68". It has 3 capped pipes sticking out of the concrete.

1- 2" pipe about 4" tall
1- 2"pipe about 4" tall
1- 4" pipe about 2 inches tall.

I am trying to figure out if I have rough-in for a 1/2 bath or full bathroom.
sink/toilet/shower, and sink/toilet/vent?

I have created this illustration to show what I have.

Next to the bathroom is the furnace & water heater with a drain in the floor. Next to the furnace/water heater is the washer and dryer. The washer drain tube connects to the large pipe coming through the ceiling and has a cleanout plug on it. Can I create a vent off of the main tube coming through the ceiling for the sink/shower/toilet?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-14, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Can I create a vent off of the main tube coming through the ceiling for the sink/shower/toilet?

No... Not if there is waste running down that pipe from upstaires...

You need to find a vent that they may have piped and left up in the ceiling somewhere...

If none then you need to run one up to the attic or roof, or use a studor vent if allowed in your township...

Looks like piped just as a powder room... That 2" pipe on the right seems far away from the other fixtures for it to be a full bath... Possibly the one on the right was for the washer...

The washer drain tube connects to the large pipe coming through the ceiling and has a cleanout

probably no vent... Not to code...

No stand pipe? Its just directly connected?

Umm scary!!!!..

Welcome to the forums......

Old 02-13-14, 09:33 AM
No there is a stand pipe on the washer machine connection. I just meant that the end of the pipe connects right into the waste stack.

I have 2 vent pipe stacks on my roof, so I assume that I just need to find where the vent pipe enters the basement and tie into that? I am getting confused because from the graphs that I look at, the vent pipe ties into the waste pipe and by the time it gets to the basement they are all carrying waste. If that is the case then why did they rough-in for a bathroom if they did not supply a vent. I would assume that they would need to run a vent for the "future bathroom" because they know I can't run a new vent after the upper 2 floors were finished.

My city is pretty strict with codes, and they inspected the house during different stages during the build, so I am thinking that if they did not supply a vent, or do the rough-in correctly they would not have passed the inspection. Or maybe I am just putting too much confidence in the inspection process.

Old 02-13-14, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
If that is the case then why did they rough-in for a bathroom if they did not supply a vent.
Because thats the way the world works.. In my whole plumbing experience to find a builder that actually pipes the vent are few and far...

I am thinking that if they did not supply a vent, or do the rough-in correctly they would not have passed the inspection. Or maybe I am just putting too much confidence in the inspection process.
The inspectors seem to overlook this... Afterall most are not plumbers and never worked in the trade... Just someones brother or nephew working a 80k a yr job...

Old 02-13-14, 03:32 PM
So in theory I can use the 3 pipes in the ground as drains if I can locate the actual vent pipe and tap into that from the sink?

Can I do something like this?

Blue= vent pipe
red= vent pipe to atic

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-14, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
I dont know what you drew there and why its connected to the stack...

Like I said.. The sink is next to the toilet. If you dont use it as a sink it needs to be vented because its for the toilet..

The pipe on the right was probably for the laundry.. I drew it as that.. If you use it as sink or laundry it needs to be vented..

How far from the wall is it? Is there standing water down there like its trapped below the flab?

Also your washer line needs to be vented... I show a vent to the arm...

Name:  vent.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 02-14-14, 01:55 PM
Thanks for drawing that, it helps explain it better.

However one side not, the laundry is plumbed and installed on the Left side of the studded wall in the picture. So the pipe on the right I would assume is for the bathroom, I just need to determine if it is a vent or drain.

Toilet pipes are 4", can a shower/tub drain be 2" or is the standard bigger?

Old 02-14-14, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
can a shower/tub drain be 2" or is the standard bigger?
Shower would be 2" but you need to look down the pipe and or pour water down there and see if there is a trap under the slab...

I still say it was for laundry...

the laundry is plumbed and installed on the Left side of the studded wall in the picture.
Yes I know... It was not supposed to go there hence why they tied into the cleanout... That arm needs a vent as I show...