frozen water line

Old 02-14-14, 04:08 PM
frozen water line

I am having a issue with a frozen water line coming from the meter. My house was built in 1952 and still has the original(as far as I know) water line from the meter. It has froze on me before in past years, but with the winter this year it is froze again. I have been able in the past to heat up the pipe on my side of the meter and get it going, but no luck so far this time.

Any ideas what I can or should do? Is a plumber the only coarse I have left?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
What is the reason that its freezing? Exposed? Where does the line come into the home? Where is the mete?r...etc..

Need more info..

Pictures help....

Old 02-14-14, 04:31 PM
This is going to be two part answer, just cause I would like to know, so please hear me out.

My house is on a slab, so the water line is under the house for about 15 feet. The meter itself is in the end of the driveway. That is about 25 feet from the house. The line comes from the street, elbows up to the meter in the meter housing, elbows back down into the earth to the house. The meter itself is exposed about two feet down. I imagine it is freezing due to the cold temps we have been experiencing, say -40 wind chill with -20 temps.

Now for the second part. About five minutes after posting and two hours of heating the pipe, the water miraculously came back on! Yeah that is great and we are going to let it run, but the would like to be able to keep this from happening in the future too.

Old 02-14-14, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Is it in a round pit with a lid? I stuff the heck out of them with insulation.. Thats what the water company does here...

Also they have pre fab things like this, then insulation stuffed on top..

Water Meter Insulation Jacket, ABT Water Store

Last thing to do when its real cold is run a pencil stream of water out of a faucet 24/7 until is warms up... Moving water has a hard time freezing....

Old 02-14-14, 04:44 PM
Yep the round with a lid. I will stuff it then. We usually do leave the water running when it gets down that cold. Weird thing was it was 25+- the day it actually froze!