Connecting grill to natural gas line

Old 02-16-14, 10:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting grill to natural gas line

When we moved into our new house the builder mentioned there was a gas line coming out of the house. I'd like to use this to connect a grill. However, looking at the gas pipe I don't see any kind of valve to shut off the gas (attached image). Would I be able to just pop off the cap and connect the grill, or am I missing any other parts?
See image here:
20140216_212015390_iOS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-14, 01:27 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
You would have to install a gas-approved valve and more likely as not a gas-approved quick-connect fitting to mate with the hose on the grill. If your grill is presently using propane then you need to change the orifices in the burners at the very least and may even need to modify the burner valves. Google convert propane grill to natural gas for more information.

Old 02-17-14, 10:12 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
As Furd mentioned, you'll definitely need a valve there. You'll need to shut off the main gas line and test the connection afterwards with a soap/water solution to ensure there are no bubbles/leaks.

You'll also need to relite any pilot lights.

Old 02-17-14, 11:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I was planning to buy a new grill, so I would definitely get the natural gas one (i.e. no conversion necessary).
I'm just wondering if this is something I could do on my own or I need a plumber. Sounds pretty easy though...