Banging mains cold water pipe (when no water runniy)

Old 02-18-14, 01:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Banging mains cold water pipe (when no watec running)

Hi all

I'm really hoping someone can help me. Iv had banging pipes for around 6 months and it is literally driving me mad trying to find the issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g89...e_gdata_player
I have uploaded a video recording of the issue. Basically at random times through the day my pipes start banging, even if we are in bed etcwith no water running. If I turn the tap on the banging stops until the tap is closed again. There is very little pipework in my home since I live in a small house, the main inlet comes in through my bathroom and travels up a pipechase to my kitchen (which is upstairs, directly above the bathroom) I have felt the pipes but can't actually feel them banging, the only area I can't get access to is the pipe chase.
I have had a plumber out but he had no idea what the issue is. Like e I said this is really getting to me now so any help at all would be very much appreciated

Thank y

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 01:56 PM
D
I should have mentioned that when the banging is happening, if I turn the tap on the banging stops up the water pressure is inconsistent as can be seen in the video.

Thanks

Old 02-19-14, 10:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 85 Posts
It does sound like an annoying problem.

My first thought was a high-pressure issue, but since when you turn on the faucet the water initially comes out normally and not a hard spurt, I'm thinking that's not the issue. But I'll ask anyway, do you have a PRV (a device piped in right near your water meter). Are you in an apartment/condo, or is your house separate with it's own water service?

The banging is most likely due to the pipes not securely attached to anything in that pipe chase. You may end up having to cut an access hole and clamping the pipes so they can't move that much.

Others may be around with better ideas soon.

Old 02-19-14, 02:07 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
I was reluctant to chime in on this. But, I wonder if putting in an air column would help directly after the meter. I did this at my home and it solved the problem.
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 02-23-14, 05:03 AM
A
Received 61 Votes on 59 Posts
The pipes may be clamped so tightly to the house frame so that when they expand or contract lengthwise with temperature, they suddenly slip at random times rather than slide smoothly. This may make noise particularly if pipes hit each other or other objects during some movements.

Old 02-23-14, 12:42 PM
M
@norm201 - Would you mind uploading picture of air column you have put in ?

Old 02-23-14, 12:55 PM
M
I should have mentioned that when the banging is happening, if I turn the tap on the banging stops up the water pressure is inconsistent as can be seen in the video.

Thanks
I had similar problem and it was due to pressure created by Hot Water Tank and it had no where to release pressure. I used to open Hot water Tap to release the pressure and it was going away until pressure gets built again. I was so annoyed and did not know what to do. Finally I added Thermal Expansion tank between Shut Off Valve and Hot Water Tank and problem resolved. I think it is worth installing expansion tank if you do not have one, it will be peace of mind after that.

Check Pressure using pressure guage near Hot water tank while no hot water is being used for a while. You are likely to find 5-10 psi higher than your regular water pressure. This extra pressure cannot go anywhere because you may have backflow preventer installed before Hot water heater.

See picture below:
https://app.box.com/s/2n88rwz2xtb89u32htew

It took me around 2 hours to install and two weeks to plan due to my lack of knowledge on plumbing
Here is the tank
101-1 - Amtrol 101-1 - #15 Extrol Expansion Tank (2 Gallon Volume)

Install Drain Valve before tank for future maintenace as well

50613W - Webstone 50613W - 3/4" Sweat PRO-PAL Ball Valve w/ Drain (Lead Free)

Old 02-23-14, 01:38 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts

Here is my set up. Excuse the mess, that's my wife's junk.

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">