Pipe sizing....

Old 02-23-14, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pipe sizing....

Not sure where to place this, but need some help with possible pipe size issues, or not.

Working on an RV and need to replace some lines that come off of the main water supply valve. The entire RV is plumbed with 1/2' PEX tubing, the input to the RV is the normal 3/4" garden hose, connected to a 50 psi regulator.
The hose(s) I need to replace, look like normal supply lines used for sinks (1/2FIP to 1/2 FIP), however, they are also 1/2" ID.
All the supply lines I can find are 1/2" OD, or about 3/8" ID. Since these lines are at the very beginning of the RV inlet supply; will the reduction in size be noticeable?

Any one have a supply source for supply lines that are: 1/2"FIP to 1/2"FIP and 1/2"ID approximately 12", 27" and 30" in length?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
If the line is 1/2 ID then did you measure the OD?? I would say its 5/8 tubing....

Old 02-24-14, 09:56 AM
I agree, the faulty supply line is 5/8 OD or 1/2 ID. All of the replacements lines I have seen in the plumbing stores and big box stores are 1/2 OD or 3/8 ID. 1/2 in. FIP x 1/2 in. FIP x 20 in. Polymer Braid Faucet Water Connector-B8-20A F at The Home Depot
If I replace the 5/8 OD or 1/2 ID line with one of the 1/2 OD or 3/8 ID lines, do you think there is going to be a "noticable" reduction in water volume or pressure?

Old 02-24-14, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
What make and model RV?

I get all my part #'s from this catolog then I look on line for the part..

I guess there is a vaiation in pipe size in the trade as in CTS or IPS. Those two sizes are ever so slight. ( Copper tube size) ( Iron pipe size)

When you go to the RV store this is what they use on older models.. ( I have a 10 yr old coachman)

Coast Distribution - Products

Now I dont think pressure will be a concern. I would be more concerned about exact OD measurement since they are compression fittings...

Old 02-24-14, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I think I am trying to over think the issue. The fittings on both hoses are 1/2 FIP, so they have the same ID. The only difference is the hose, inbetween the fittings, one is 5/8 the other is 1/2.

Old 02-24-14, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Well can you take a pic? Are both ends threaded? or are they compression?

I dont know what you have. quest fittings?

What was there? Is there writing on the line? part #?