Dealing With Water Pumps

Old 02-26-14, 10:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dealing With Water Pumps

Hello everybody,

I am dealing with a unique situation that involves a mobile food truck and its onboard plumbing. It's fitted with a water tank that holds up to 15 GAL; I have it connected to four small sinks. There is nothing to pressurize the water other than gravity from the tank to the sinks, and I am looking to use a small utility water pump or pond pump to increase the pressure of the water.

My main question is, when the sinks are turned off, and the water pump is trying to pump water through, will that slowly damage the water pump over time (since the pump's normal function is to let water flow through)?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 10:34 AM
C
Choosing the Right Water Pump

Hello everybody,

I am dealing with a unique situation that involves a mobile food truck and its onboard plumbing. It's fitted with a water tank that holds up to 15 GAL; I have it connected to four small sinks. There is nothing to pressurize the water other than gravity from the tank to the sinks, and I am looking to use a small utility water pump or pond pump to increase the pressure of the water.

My main question is, when the sinks are turned off, and the water pump is trying to pump water through, will that slowly damage the water pump over time (since the pump's normal function is to let water flow through)?

I've looked at sink pumps but most of them are intended to directly connect to an individual sink's piping; my food trailer has got four sinks all connected to pull from one source. Seems like a utility or pond pump would work perfectly, but I'm just not sure if it will get damaged over time. Worst-case scenario, I could turn on and off the water pump when using the sinks, although I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-26-14, 10:45 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Just Google "RV water pumps" and you will have many choices as to GPM and $$. Most are 12V and I suppose you have 12V available in your trailer.
These will maintain set pressure (usually 30 psi) and turn on when pressure drops. Therefore they are demand pumps.
RR

Old 02-26-14, 12:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 532 Votes on 489 Posts
Get a pump intended for RV (campers, motor homes...) water systems. They are designed to exactly what you want and come with a built in pressure switch so they automatically turn off when no water is being used.

You are correct, it's not good to let a circulation pump run continuously without water flowing through it as the pump may overheat. Not to mention the power you'll be wasting by letting it run when not being used.

Old 02-26-14, 03:21 PM
C
Thanks a bunch Rough Rooster

Old 02-26-14, 03:25 PM
C
Thanks a lot Pilot Dane, I'll take a look at those.