Replacing shut off valves a good preventative measure?

Old 02-27-14, 09:13 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Replacing shut off valves a good preventative measure?

Is it a good idea to replace shut off valves under the sinks and toilets as a preventative measure? Only one so far has a slight leak when it's out all the way, but turning it in a little solves it. They are all full turn valves, and I just realized they are probably compression fittings to the copper pipe.

Is there a concern that I could damage the pipe or is it normally easy to replace the compression fitting too along with the valve?

Also, are the standard nickel plated quarter turn valves fine or does anyone upgrade to even better quality ones?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-14, 10:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I don't replace them unless there is a real need to do so. Full turn valves usually leak around the knob stem and can be fixed by simply tightening the packing nut located around the stem. Put a wrench on the body of the valve to prevent it from turning and another wrench on the packing nut and tighten it a bit.

Old 02-27-14, 10:50 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
Along with Pilot Danes fixing of valves, one should periodically turn all isolation valves off then fully on then back off about a quarter turn. I advise about once every three months. This practice keeps the washer and packing from seizing and drying out at the stem.

Now, if only I can practice what I preach. <input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 03-03-14, 06:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't fix it if ain't broke or about to break.

Old 03-03-14, 08:35 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks Pilot, Norm, Jeremy, great advice, valves don't just spontaneously burst anyway.