Low water pressure

Old 02-28-14, 12:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure

I am experiencing low water pressure issue. It was not there last year and it is consistent across all the faucets. The first one, decent pressure. Turn on the second one, it will reduce dramatically. Does not matter if it is hot or cold water or the garden faucet.

What PSI i should be seeing at the faucet? Also if there is a pressure regulator valve, where would that be?

Thanks

Old 02-28-14, 01:33 PM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Are you on city water or a well? If well, describe your set up for pump and tank and if you have any water filters.

Old 03-01-14, 09:12 AM
S
I live in the city..So it is city water. No pump and tank and as far as i know, no filters.

Old 03-02-14, 07:34 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The pressure should only drop if there is an obstruction or a higher draw on it. Since it is the entire house I would assume the problem is in the main line. The easy one is to shut off the main water and see if the water shuts off. This can give an indication of the main shut off valve malfunction. Perhaps a washer from it dislodging from the tap and is interfering with the water flow.

The other thing that obstructs water is ice. Not sure if this problem is applicable in Texas but it deserves a few seconds of consideration when problems like this happen in February/March.

I would want to know if my neighbors water is working fine before I go too much further. If it is, and you haven't done anything to your water system lately, I would start assuming a leak. Since a leak, that would have a noticeable drop in water pressure, would certainly get discovered if inside the house, I would assume it would be happening in the line to the house.

Perhaps others have a way of confirming this before one starts digging. I wish I could help you more, but those are the only thoughts I have.

Old 03-02-14, 06:17 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Another easy check is to determine whether you have a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV). It's likely a brass-colored device either near your water meter or just where your water main enters the house. These are typically very reliable, but when they malfunction, they can cause issues like you're experiencing.

Old 03-03-14, 07:46 AM
S
I think i found the PRV. Not sure about it. Will upload a photo soon. It was in a box next to the water meter.

About ice, may be. Today it is 16F at some times. Texas is also getting cold

Old 07-10-14, 12:24 PM
S
Back.

Pressure was low. I called the city water department. The outside garden faucet PSI is only 26. Then they checked the sprinklers and it is working fine. So they said it is the pressure reducing valve and this community have it.

The flow is Main Line (meter) -> PRV - House
-> Irrigation

Started the task on finding the PRV. After sometime found a round box under a shrub close to the home. They said this is it and left. What a relief. Opened it and found a round tap kind of thing and not the PRV i was expecting. It is something like a secondary control to the water to the home . Close it by turning clock side will stop water to home. Not like the PRV (what i read), when closes increases the pressure.

So now how to find it? House is slab foundation, city water, pressure at irrigation is fine which is after meter. Only the house don't have enough.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  26.4 KB

Last edited by saneesh8; 07-10-14 at 02:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: