Install faucet with deep sink

Old 02-28-14, 04:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install faucet with deep sink

I had my countertops installed and hooked up the lines for my faucet. The problem is the sink is an undermount and is very deep. I have long relatively skinny arms, but I have been unable to screw the collar on under the counter to hold the faucet in place. I can reach the bottom of the threaded faucet, but to get the collar lined up and turn it- no luck.

Between snaking my arm between pipes and the distance, I haven't been able to do it in many, many tries.

If I remove some of the drain pipe, it might give me a little more room. I hate to do that though as I did have a plumber do that and hate to fool with it. I also don't think that is really the problem.

Any suggestions/tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-14, 04:34 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture?
Remove the drain pipe.

Old 02-28-14, 04:38 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What brand and make of faucet do you have so we can do some research for you.

Old 03-01-14, 06:27 AM
Received 173 Votes on 157 Posts
Not and uncommon problem. Imagination must come in play. A couple of ideas...Do you have a kid available who can get his or her arms up there? Use a hollow tube with some sticky stuff to hole the nut and with patience try starting the nut on to thread. A sink wrench might help.
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 03-01-14, 06:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
One trick I've used is to make a custom wrench out of a piece of PVC pipe. Before mounting the faucet I found a piece of PVC that fit over the threaded neck of the faucet then cut notches in one end to mate with the raised blades of the plastic faucet mounting nut. Then have someone hold the faucet in place above. Go underneath and use the "pipe" wrench to turn the nut. For the last bit of tightening I grabbed the pipe wrench with a large pair of channel lock pliers but I think you could drill a cross hole in one end and insert a rod or screw driver for more leverage.

Old 03-01-14, 07:04 AM
Received 173 Votes on 157 Posts
Pilot Dane,

Great idea. Then you lable that pipe you made and store in the sink that it was used on.
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Old 03-01-14, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
If you can get it started use a basin wrench...

Old 03-01-14, 07:37 AM
M
One trick I've used is to make a custom wrench out of a piece of PVC pipe. Before mounting the faucet I found a piece of PVC that fit over the threaded neck of the faucet then cut notches in one end to mate with the raised blades of the plastic faucet mounting nut. Then have someone hold the faucet in place above. Go underneath and use the "pipe" wrench to turn the nut. For the last bit of tightening I grabbed the pipe wrench with a large pair of channel lock pliers but I think you could drill a cross hole in one end and insert a rod or screw driver for more leverage.
The collar has a notch out for the water line hookups. I may have to remove the water lines. I was trying a few things similar to you. I tried a pair of kitchen tongs wrapped with tape to hold the collar. I tried using 2 small clamps to gain a few extra inches. Vise grips were too big to turn in the space.

I like the pvc idea. I would need to unhook the water lines to feed them through the pvc, but I guess that isn't a big deal.

Old 03-01-14, 02:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
Yes, the water lines go down through the center of the pipe.