Recommendation for getting more water per flush into bowl

Old 03-05-14, 02:44 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for getting more water per flush into bowl

I had to replace the innards of the toilet tank. I used Fluidmaster stuff. It is working now (before, there was water leaking into the bowl from the tank, but its not any more).

However, I've noticed that not much water is flowing down into the bowl when I flush the handle. In fact, all the waste in the bowl does not go down the drain. I am pretty sure this is a toilet tank problem, b/c on several occasions I have taken 2-3 ga buckets of water and poured them into the bowl itself. The water flows easily down the drain. This tells me that the problem is that when I flush, not enough water is going into the bowl.

Replacing the inside matter of the tank was an incredibly frustrating experience for me (this is not my day job), so I'm wondering if I can get some tips on how to go about getting more water per flush.

One thing I did was take off a blue plastic valve that (I believe) was keeping water from flowing. See Toilet Fill Valve | Toilet Tank Fill Valve | Leak Sentry® Toilet Fill Valve. What I took off is that blue piece.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 04:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 481 Votes on 442 Posts
Have you tried holding down the handle longer when you flush?

The item you linked is a fill valve. It really does not have anything to do with how much water goes into the bowl with each flush. It's just responsible for filling the tank after the flush.

You can control the flush somewhat by varying the chain length between the flapper valve and flush arm. It depends on your (flapper) valve but some will provide a very short flush if the chain is too short which does not allow the flapper valve to fully rise, and float during the flush cycle.

Old 03-05-14, 06:04 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Make sure the hose you took the blue thing off emties into the overflow. Use the hardware that came with the valve to make connection. When you flush you want to start with a full bowl of water and that hose is what does it.
Woodbutcher

Old 03-07-14, 09:15 AM
P
I'm using the parts that came with the Fluidmaster kit. That little hose is in fact pushing water into the overflow tube.

Holding the handle down (I have counted to ten mississippi) doesn't seem to have any effect--occasionally enough water goes in, but it can do that whether I hold the handle down extra long, or not. But usually there isn't enough water, even when I hold the handle down longer.

OK so you are suggesting that I lengthen the chain connecting to the flapper valve?

Old 03-07-14, 01:02 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hello,
There are a couple of reasons for the problem you are having.
Pour a bucket of water into the toilet bowl. Does it flush? If no plunge it or get a bowl auger to clear it. If it flushes the problem may be a lime build up in the bowl. Clear all the holes under the rim and the jet in the bottom of the toilet bowl. You can use a wire or small screw driver.
I use muratic acid because it can get where a wire can’t. I use about a quart and pour it into the overflow tube in the tank I let it set for about a half hour then flush.
Muratic acid is used in swimming pools to balance the PH.
I use to get it at Home Depot but thiers is weak. Last time I bought it, I got it at Ace Hardware the muriatic acid 31% hydrogen chloride,
Woodbutchere

Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-08-14, 05:25 PM
P
Its definitely the flapper. It is closing too soon. It starts to drop with 2-3 inches of water still in the tank. When I hold the handle (to keep the flapper up, allowing that extra water to flow into the toilet bowl), it is flushing down the drain properly.

I've tried making the chain tighter, and continued to do so until it was so tight it wouldn't close. Now, I'm going back the other way, and making it looser than it originally was (based on an earlier suggestion from someone in this thread). It seems counter-intuitive, that a looser chain could help me out here, but at this point I'll try anything.

Old 03-08-14, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Whay brand toilet is it and what flapper did you put in?

Raise the water as high as it will go in the tank.. ( Top of the overflow tube)...

Sometimes flappers need to be OEM... especially kohler...

Old 03-08-14, 06:56 PM
P
The toilet itself is American Standard. the flapper and all the equipment inside the tank (even the handle) is from a Fluidmaster kit I just bought at Lowes.

After lengthening the chain, I'm seeing even less water pour into the bowl. I think I'll make it a bit tighter than I started out with.. that seemed to drain the tank down to about 2 inches or so.... now its about 3-4 inches of water that is still there, when the flapper goes down.

Man I don't know what is going on here. The previous unit was leaking into the bowl (which is why I went in and replaced it), but at least it allowed a decent amount of water per flush.

Old 03-08-14, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Did the old flapper have the dobber on it?

Thats probably what it came with I think if its older..