Changing from Copper to Pex a few questions

Old 03-06-14, 04:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing from Copper to Pex a few questions

I'm going to be changing out my leaky copper water pipes to pex and need some advice. My main water supply is huge for a small house at 2" galvanized which right now is reduced right away to 1.5" copper for a short run and than 1" copper run to the water heater and throughout the house.
Is it ok to replace the 1.5" copper run with 1.5" sch40 PVC for 4-5' than reduce to 1.25" PVC for 30' to go to the water heater and Pex Manifold(which would be tee'd off the 1.25" to 3/4", one to water heater & one to manifold)?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-14, 06:07 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1, Get rid of all the old steel pipe. At some point it is going to leak 100% of the time. It rust out from the inside out so it may look fine on the outside but paper thin where it's treaded.
#2, Is this just a single family home? If so unless this is some local code there should be no need for any more then 1". Most house use just 3/4 main runs.
#3, PVC should not be used for pressure lines inside a home. It's only for drain and vent lines.

Old 03-06-14, 06:30 AM
A
Changing the steel isn't really an option right now, it's the supply coming from the street and then just stubbed into the home and reduced down to 1-1/2". It is a single family home and I know it's ridiculously oversized but I'm not in the position to change that right now and need to find a way to get from the 2" galvanized to my pex manifold. My initial thought was CPVC but I can't find that locally in 1.5", 1.25" or even 1", biggest is 3/4". So if I can't use PVC, what would be the suggestion for running from the galvanized to the manifold 30' away?

Old 03-06-14, 06:42 AM
W
Hey Adam, I agree with joe 100%, where the water line come in your house reduce it down to what your pex manifold is 3/4 or 1 inch, you cant change the water material (Galvanize) or size 2 inch woow thats big.
Go to your local plumbing supply lowes or home depot may not carry the fitting you need to go betewwn 2 gal and you pex, they should be able to set you up with the right fitting be ready for more then 1 fitting ok. one stright shot from your gal 2 inch pipe to your manifould.. Good Question..good luck you can do it..

Old 03-06-14, 10:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
PVC is an approved plumbing method for cold supply piping. It's rarely used since it's not allowable for hot water, but you can do what you're planning.

If it were me, I would probably just reduce down the galvanized when it comes into the house to a pair of 3/4" PEX pipes, one to the water heater and one to the cold supplies in the house.

The larger PVC would work fine too, but I tend to think it would end up looking amateurish and not really get you much extra volume/pressure.

Old 03-06-14, 01:52 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd reduce it down with a galvanized bell reducer, a dielectric nipple then change over to the Pex.
Reason being is if you connected a steel to a brass fitting it's going to corrode shortly.

Old 03-06-14, 06:12 PM
A
This is a huge help, so do you think it wouldn't be a problem with pressure with reducing right from the 2" to 3/4"?

Old 03-07-14, 04:52 AM
A
Thanks @Zorfdt, that makes sense, so I should reduce and tee it off right away and do my 30' runs with (2) 3/4" pex pipes?
As opposed to just reducing it down right away and doing one 3/4" run for the 30' and then teeing off to the water heater and manifold when I get to them?

Old 03-08-14, 01:51 PM
A
After thinking about this further I think I'm going to go from the 1-1/2" galvanized right to a 1" sharkbite adapter and do my 30" run with 1" pex and then tee off to 3/4". Since the sharkbite is brass i should be ok connecting directly to the galvanized as opposed to going copper to galvanized, correct?