Would it hurt to have flush valve tube as high as fill valve hose?

Old 03-09-14, 03:59 PM
Would it hurt to have flush valve tube as high as fill valve hose?

I'm currently having problems getting enough water into my toilet bowl, and when I put the Fluidmaster kit in, I cut the flush valve pipe at least a couple of inches, b/c the instructions said it had to be a good inch lower than a certain point on the fill valve.

It appears to me that the fill valve really isn't a pump (and isn't doing work)--it simply guides water that is being pushed through it. So why should I have to worry about how high the top of the flush valve pipe is? I'm thinking that if I leave the flush valve pipe as high as it is by default, then I could get more water into the toilet bowl and solve my problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
So why should I have to worry about how high the top of the flush valve pipe is?
The flush handle isn't sealed. If the flush valve sticks the water level will rise around the flush handle and flow out if the tube isn't lower then the flush handle. Seen it happen in apartments I did maintenance on.

Old 03-09-14, 05:27 PM
Fair enough, but the hole that the handle goes through is quite high, which still allows a lot of room for that pipe to rise. As it is now (before I replace the flush valve pipe), the top of that pipe is at least a couple inches lower than the handle, so I have room to maneuver. But thanks for pointing that out.

Old 03-14-14, 12:49 PM
So far so good. The additional water in the tank is now flushing into the toilet bowl and pushing everything out, so this was part of the problem I had before.