Running basement gaslines beween steel beam flanges?

Old 03-10-14, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running basement gaslines beween steel beam flanges?

Hi all

I am rerouting my gas lines in my unfinished basement. Existing lines are old, crusty, and cross the basement ceiling joists in open areas.

The joists are supported by small I-beams (S-shape?). 8" depth, 5.25" flange width.

My question is this:

Per the average jurisdiction's building codes - can I run a gas line along the I-beam, between its top and bottom flanges to cross the basement? Are there mounting, grounding, or other special considerations required or recommended when doing this?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by Bobsdiy; 03-10-14 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not worry about the average building code. Instead call your city or county and present the question to them. It would be advisable to pull a permit and then you know you are safe and it will be properly inspected. To make sure the line does not leak after installation to pass inspection test it with air first. 20 lbs is usually good but the county or city can tell you for sure. Be sure not to test through the regulators on appliances as it will not work. I moved a gas meter at my old house and the city and the gas company were both easy to work with and it made sure the job was safe and correct.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-14, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I don't know of any general UPC or IPC codes that prohibit running the pipes along steel support beams. You'll still need to support it based on whether you're using CSST or black pipe.

As for grounding/bonding, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Your gas piping should be bonded either via the furnace or a bonding jumper (depending on your local codes), so there shouldn't be anything else necessary.

But as John said, all codes can be overridden by local amendments, so a call or visit to your local building department may add some clarity as well.