Frozen Well Pipe? Pump Needs to be Primed? Other Issue?

Old 03-11-14, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen Well Pipe? Pump Needs to be Primed? Other Issue?

Hey fellas, need a hand... would like to fix this on my own if I can.

Background: Came home Friday night drunk and the water wouldnt work. flipped breaker, pump runs but no pressure. See video. Landlord warned me the well pipe had frozen once before and theres nothing to do but wait for spring. We took showers Friday morning though, and frankly it wasnt that cold out.

Other theory, it just needs to be primed? I have no idea how to do it on this bad boy. I tried googling it but I dont wanna screw it up. Its a ProJet, see picture.

Another theory, the well dried up, recently had a roomie move in, maybe it couldnt handle the action.

Not sure how deep the well is to be honest. Landlord is in Germany.

Any help, guidance, or jokes to cheer my dirty ass up welcome.

Video: Pump - YouTube

Cheers,
Andrew

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 03:33 PM
Sorry:

1.) about the photos i dont know why my phone does that
2.) Probally should have posted this in wells & pumps maybe the Mod can move

Old 03-11-14, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Are you sure you are on a well? It's very unusual to have a sediment filter on the inlet of a pump, especially a shallow well pump like you have.

But, on to your problem. If you were drunk on PBR or some other cheap brew I'd suggest switching to a good craft brew and all your poblems will be solved. But seriously... first replace or remove the filter cartridge. A shallow well pump can not handle much restriction on the intake side.

Was your new roommate or anyone else in the house using water in the several hours before the pump quit? If not I doubt the well has run dry. It should recharge in a couple hours if it was run dry. You should also check to make sure that you don't have a water leak somewhere and that the toilet flapper is not leaking. You can put food coloring or any other colored liquid in the tank and see if the water in the bowl gets the color. A slow leaking flapper valve could run your well dry without you knowing.

Old 03-11-14, 03:53 PM
Priming a pump is not difficult. Usually there is a big nut on the top of the pump that you can remove and you would want to ensure that the water was right to the top of that hole. In your pictures it looks like the pressure tank is sitting right on top of that nut. Usually jet pumps have at least two holes. One on the top or the side for the outgoing water and one on top for the prime. In any event, you may need to remove the pressure tank to fill the pump with water.

You then just reseal that top hole with the tank or nut and turn on the pump and it should refill the system, provided your well has water and/or is not frozen.

Now when you are priming. Fill the pump with water and let it sit for a few minutes and see if the level starts to drop. If there is air in the line you want to give that a chance to bubble out. There could also be a leak. In any event, if the water you are putting in wants to drain away into the line, it may not work, so give it time to ensure that the draining is complete.

I would also remove the filter in front of the pump.

Old 03-11-14, 03:56 PM
Lastly, if priming the pump gets you back and running then you need to ask yourself why did the pump lose prime in the first place. You may have a leak between the pump and the foot valve in the well. So what I would do if priming gets everything working is to keep an eye on the water pressure guage. Pressure should not be reducing when you are not using any water, so if the water pressure does reduce, when you are not using any water, then you have a leak.

If that is the case, then let us know and we can walk you through that as well.

Old 03-11-14, 04:31 PM
First off my go to beer is Long Trail!

Second, I am pretty damn sure i'm on a well. I'm in the middle of no where.

Changing the filter is not a bad idea. It looks dirty as hell. Unfortunatly the new roomied f'd with it one night and it appears he tightened it to much... bc I cant get it off (it came off like a piece of cake last time). He's out drinking instead of helping. Angry text sent.

No one was home all day Friday. So I guess well depletion theory is out. We have a compost toliet, so no leak their. Shower might be leaking i'll have to check that.

As far as priming... I have no experience that sounds pretty difficult!! Maybe a plumber it is. Hopefully muscle man roomie can get the filter off and that does the trick.