Can this Damage my Propane Line?

Old 03-11-14, 10:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can this Damage my Propane Line?

Hello,
I have some slight flooding issues in my garage (dirt floor), and was going to install some french type drains to alleviate the problem. However, the propane line runs straight through where I need to put this drain. Will having the propane line going through the drain, covered in gravel, cause any damage to it? I have not dug it up yet, so I am not sure of the type of piping used, but have been told that it is 18-24" deep. Thanks.

Old 03-11-14, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum but I don't think you'd want any type of rock around a gas line.

It would also be a good idea to shut off the propane at the tank when you do the digging.

Old 03-11-14, 10:55 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Soft copper tubing with flared fittings is commonly used in underground propane systems. Generally a regulator on the tank drops the pressure to somewhere around 10 psi with an additional regulator at each appliance dropping the pressure to 11 inches water column. If you have to run the French drain where the gas piping is I would want to sleeve the gas piping to protect it from the stones used in the drain.

Old 03-12-14, 08:07 AM
L
Be very careful when digging around the supply line from the propane tank. Shut off the propane and before you backfill, use soapy water to check for leaks especially below the pipe. A sleeve would be difficult to place completely around the pipe. Instead, I would use some garden fabric to enclose an area around the pipe and back fill with some fine sand. this would allow the water to flow through the drainage stone without removing the sand.

Old 03-12-14, 05:37 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
A sleeve would be difficult to place completely around the pipe.
Not at all. You take a piece of PVC or ABS plastic of the appropriate diameter and length and then using a fine toothed saw cut a slot in the wall of the pipe for the length. Spread the pipe slightly to allow it to fit over the gas piping and there you have it. While not entirely necessary you can tape over the cut and you can use duct seal to close the ends.

NOTE, this sleeve is for use ONLY where the pipe is subject to damage in a limited length. Sleeving the entire gas line requires ventilation of the sleeve.

Old 03-13-14, 08:09 AM
S
Thank you for the advice. I was definitely going to shut off the propane prior to doing this, and check for leaks when done. The sleeve idea makes sense and does not seem too difficult.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: