Help w/Waste Pipe

Old 03-12-14, 04:01 PM
Help w/Waste Pipe

Hello Everyone,

This is going to be complicated and difficult to explain, so I apologize in advance. I have a Service Cast Iron Soil Pipe that extends from the basement slab of my house through the roof for venting purposes. This pipe has a crack in it (In Basement / not leaking anything) and an improper fittings from an abandoned toilet. Because of this, I was considering replacing the pipe and moving it closer to wall (also to make more room). The slab was to be cracked and this pipe would be tied back into the pipe leading to the cesspool (Probably using PVC). My concern now is that since this pipe is Cast Iron all the way through the roof, how can the bottom be replaced? I would imagine the pipe up top would not be supported and end up in my basement? How would this be done? Would the entire pipe need to be replaced all the way through the roof? There is a second floor toilet tied into this.

This leads to my next question ... I have had success before in patching a pipe like this with an epoxy. I basically sanded off around the crack, put the epoxy on it, and never had an issue with it. It was like steel. Does anyone know what the best kind of epoxy is to use with this?

For anyone interested in the pipe, here are the identifiers: CF-SV-40
828-4b | 322-2b ... I'm not a plumber and I'm not planning on doing any of this work myself. There is also more to this story, but I don't want to confuse things. Any info would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Hello and welcome.........

You could replace all in PVC. But if you want to replace just a partial section you would need to support the cast... pipe straps...etc.. Most of the time there is a hub supported from the subfloor in the wall..

The crack you can fix by snaping the line lower to a non cracked ares, then breaking off the hub thats left with a light lump hammer..

Then use no hubs couplings and replace in PVC...

IMO epoxy will not work or last long. The crack will get bigger from what I have seen in the feild....Mostly from temperature fluctuations....

Old 03-12-14, 06:23 PM
I appreciate the advice. I would definitely prefer to replace it, but a bit concerned about causing other issues. I attached another picture a little higher on the pipe as it enters the first floor. You'll notice the fitting for the abandoned toilet and I understand it's not properly capped off. The plan was to bring this pipe to the wall through the ceiling and this would bypass the crack. So I guess they would need to strap it somewhere on the 1st floor, possibly by removing drywall from the 1st floor bathroom.

The other part of this mess is that the 1st floor toilet which used empty into this soil pipe has been rigged to empty into the fresh air vent which is closer to the wall, above the trap. When we bring this pipe back to the wall, I would be able to tie in the 1st floor toilet and fix the mess with the fresh air vent. At least that was the plan.

Attached Images