Joining 1.5" to 1.75" horizontal kitchen drain pipe

Old 03-13-14, 10:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joining 1.5" to 1.75" horizontal kitchen drain pipe

I'm in an older condo (1972) and I did a recent reno to the kitchen. My only issue is where my new 1.5" brass drain pipe connects horizontally to the existing 1.75" copper building drain pipe. I'm currently using a black rubber coupler with the two screw clamps, but it's leaking a bit.

The building side of the drain pipe also appears to have an old copper coupler sleeve soldered over the end of it. I would have preferred to solder these pipes together but there's not enough of the building pipe showing (or room) to allow me to cut it off and solder a new copper coupler on. It's also an odd size; my 1.5" new drain fits inside the copper coupler AND the old drain pipe, but it's loose enough to prevent me from being able to solder the new pipe to the coupler or even the inside of the old pipe.

Is there another coupler I should try, or some sort of sealant that can be used? Or is there an even better way to get a good mechanical bond at this joint?

Old 03-15-14, 09:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First of all the pipe coming out of the wall should have a fitting called a trap adaptor on it. The would make it very easy to connect to as it matches up. Nest if it does not is there a way to add one? If not, and I have seen pipes coming out of the wall that do not have a trap adaptor on them, you can use a no hub coupling (sold at big box stores) it may be called another name but it is a stainless steel band with a rubber gasket. It sounds like you have something similar. They work best connected to straight pipe and matching the size of the pipe to the coupler. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: