General quaetion about PEX

Old 03-15-14, 05:51 AM
Received 58 Votes on 56 Posts
General quaetion about PEX

Pex comes in

red for hot water

blue for cold water

and white for hot and/or cold.

In reference to the above, where would one use white, or why bother using red or blue? Sure color identifies temp but copper never had color coding.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 06:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used white on a hose bib which is 99% cold. I installed a dual hose bib once for a plumbing engineer who said it was good for his vegetable garden. We used copper for that.

The fact that copper isn't color coded shouldn't stop us from improving the trade.

Old 03-15-14, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There all the same material, it's just to easy to get the hot and cold switched when using just the white. A simple mark with a Sharpe on the outside of the tube as I'm pushing it up inside the wall will work if your using all white.

Old 03-15-14, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I understand that some local code amendments require red/blue piping when using flexible/PEX piping.

Having swapped hot/cold on more than one occasion, I think the next repipe I do will use blue/red piping to reduce my potential stupidity factor

Old 03-15-14, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
For me the red and blue is a more recent thing. Long ago Quest only came in gray. Then PEX came along and was only available in white. Red and blue is great for denoting hot and cold lines but it means you must carry two stocks of tubing and believe me nothing is more annoying than to be on site and run out of one while you have plenty of the other. White is universal but requires you to remember to write H or C on the tubing... or just trust your memory and see what happens.