CPVC pipe repair tricks - moisture in pipe

Old 03-15-14, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CPVC pipe repair tricks - moisture in pipe

I recently replaced a CPVC main shutoff with a brass ball valve and would like to replace other CPVC ball valves with brass ball valves. The main difficulty for me was moisture in pipes even after hours of draining the pipes, e.g., a drop in few seconds for pipes in basement.

When I replaced the main shutoff, I used a CPVC to brass union which allowed me to use paper towels to absorb moisture before the cement cured.

Instead of using union or Sharkbite or compression fitting, are there tricks for the moisture issue when CPVC cement is used?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 06:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
White bread was one if the tricks to absorb the moisture. That doesn't include Italian bread.

Old 03-15-14, 06:05 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
How did you drain the pipes. Shut off main. Turn on all faucets. If your main shut off even leaks a tiny bit you won't get the water to stop.

Use the bread trick. Stick a wad of Wonder bread in the pipe and then quickly install your fitting. The bread will absorb the water and dissipate when you turn on water.

Old 03-15-14, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Also, use Rain or Shine glue. It will adhere in the presence of water.

Old 03-15-14, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all suggestions.

When I replaced the main shutoff I did open all faucets after I turned off water from meter.

Since bread may only hold water for certain time, will 30 minutes be enough for 3/4" CPVC pipes to cure at >50F temperature? I'm using yellow one step CPVC cement from Ostey.

I did a quick search for "Rain or Shine glue", and found:
PVC Rain-R-Shine® Blue Cement | Plastic Pipe Cements & Primers | Oatey

This seems only for PVC.

Old 03-15-14, 01:03 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Since bread may only hold water for certain time, will 30 minutes be enough for 3/4" CPVC pipes to cure at >50F temperature? I'm using yellow one step CPVC cement from Ostey.
No I don't think so if that much time is required. The bread trick is more for solder joints. Use the Rain or Shine that Chandler spoke of.

Old 03-16-14, 01:37 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
The cement on the outside of the pipe or in the socket of the fitting will never "see" the drips except for the very second that you insert the pipe int the fitting. Wipe it dry, smear on the cement and push it together. You DO need to refrain from turning the water on for an hour or two, longer in colder temperatures.

Old 03-16-14, 01:32 PM
I'm convinced moisture and slow drips in pipes are not major concern as Furd mentioned, as long as the joint is not submerged in water. I found a figure in "BEST PRACTICES FOR SOLVENT WELDING THERMOPLASTIC PIPING: PVC, CPVC, and ABS" By Stephen Gardiner,

Proper made and installed CPVC pipe and fitting actually "fused" together when pushed in.

I'll give enough time to drain the pipes and let the joints to cure. I'll use a hair dryer to warm the joints.

Thanks

Attached Images