Help changing nasty toilet shutoff valve. Gross pic warning also.

Old 03-16-14, 06:24 PM
Help changing nasty toilet shutoff valve. Gross pic warning also.

Helping a friend but I can't tell if this is a soldered on shutoff valve or a compression fitting. Told her I wouldn't use a blowtorch. Stuff above is like some putty that was used to repair the line supposedly been holding for over a year.

I'm trying to determine if its soldered or a compression fitting and what the next step would be. Water is leaking from where the valve is turned but wont stop even after turning it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 06:38 PM
Have you tried tightening the packing nut. It's the nut below the handle. Tightening it compresses the internal packing material tighter around the stem.

Old 03-16-14, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Its a soldered valve... You will need to turn off main and unsweat... Replace escutcheon and remove all that paint off of the copper pipe...

Old 03-16-14, 08:48 PM
Tightening it clockwise made it a little worse. even though I could barely turn it

Old 03-16-14, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well....if you don't want to use a torch...I'd clean off all the paint (wire brush, sand paper) to check the condition of the pipe, if it's in good shape you could then use a pipe cutter to remove the old valve and use a regular compression or Sharkbite type replacement valve. Looks like you have plenty of pipe out of the wall for that.

Old 03-16-14, 11:56 PM
I'd bet a dozen apple fritters that is a galvanized steel nipple and threaded valve. Look at the original picture enlarged and you can see the threads next to the valve.

Old 03-17-14, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
I'd bet a dozen apple fritters that is a galvanized steel nipple and threaded valve.
I love apple fritters.

Well if it is a threaded nipple then be careful.. I have snapped many in the wall back in my day.. Make sure the water is off and make sure you have a plan B...

Plan B will be going into the wall....

Old 03-17-14, 07:04 AM
Hmmm....I have to agree that it looks like a threaded nipple.

First scrape off all that paint. That should answer the question. If threaded...use a rag in the pipe and put a wrench on it. Put wrench on the valve and carefully try to turn the valve in a counterclockwise wise rotation while holding firm the pipe. If it comes off, your golden. Then replace the valve with a 1/4 turn ball.