proper location for clean out

Old 03-17-14, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
proper location for clean out

The former owner of my house added a laundry hookup by tapping into the plumbing in the adjacent bathroom. I'm now fixing the drywall and removing the pipes that are protruding through the wall. I capped the hot & cold pipes.

before:
Name:  old.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  30.4 KB

after:
Name:  new.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  33.8 KB

My questions are about the drain:

1. There is a cast iron closet flange to which I reattached the ABS stack. I used a 2" Fernco shower drain connector to make this connection Fernco Shower Drain Connectors | Fernco. (The only thing the home center had) It seems quite tight -- I had to bang the ABS in with a hammer, and it doesn't leak. Is this the correct way to do it?

2. Where should the cleanout go? First thing above the closet flange? Some posts mentioned having it above the sink drain so that you could run water while snaking. (The cleanout was on the bedroom-side of the wall, and I want to move it to the bathroom-side. I did not add the cleanout in my new work so that I can finish the bedroom drywall now, but will add the cleanout back when I'm redoing the bathroom.)

3. Any other errors you see with my work?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I can't answer your Fernco question, I've never used that type of fitting.

As for the cleanout, usually the P-trap is connected via a slip fitting, so any snaking can be done from the sink tee. Of course a cleanout often makes things easier, but as long as there's a way to snake if needed, a cleanout isn't required.