Toilet Very Slow Clogs Often

Old 03-18-14, 10:02 AM
Toilet Very Slow Clogs Often

I have a very old toilet, maybe as old as 25+ years in the upstairs bathroom in a townhouse. The toilet barely has any power, if it flushes at all. Sometime ago I was told to replace the toilet by a plumber.

I can run a snake through it and that will usually help for awhile, but that does not solve the problem of the toilet being very weak.

Is replacing the toilet the next step to permanently solve this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-14, 10:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd only replace the toilet as a last resort.
Tell us exactly what it's doing when you flush it.
Do you see water coming out all around from under the rim?
Tried cleaning the holes out with a pipe cleaner?
Are you 100% sure the tanks being filled to the proper level, open up the tank lid, there should be a mark in the back side of the tank or may even say something like level, fill, ECT.
Has any one removed the toilet and dumped a 5 gal. bucket of water to see if it drains.
Anyone snaked the drains out with a real soil pipe snake not some little snake made for sinks?

Old 03-18-14, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
A slightly different test than Joe mentioned is to take a bucket with a couple gallons of water and quickly pour it into the center of the bowl. This will make the toilet flush. If it flushes strong than it points to the problems Joe mentioned like passages in the rim clogged, flapper not opening all the way or the tank is not properly filled. If it still flushes weak with the bucket test then is something in the drain line or toilet trap.

You said you snake the toilet and it helps for a while but does not solve the problem. What does that mean? Does the toilet flush better after you snake or is there no change? If there is no change you may have a clogged drain line further down the pipe than your snake can reach.

Whatever you do do NOT start pouring drain cleaning chemicals down the drain. They are caustic and can be a hazard if you or someone else tries to snake the line and they rarely work. Your money would be better spent to have your lines properly snaked.

Old 03-18-14, 11:46 AM
"Does the toilet flush better after you snake or is there no change?"

After I use the snake on it the toilet is improved, meaning that is flushes better, but it is still not a strong flush.

Old 03-18-14, 11:55 AM
"Do you see water coming out all around from under the rim?"
Sorry I dont know what the rim is.

Old 03-18-14, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The rim is the area under where the toilet seat sits.
There's holes in that rim that was down the sides of the bowl.
If you have a lot of calcium or iron in the water the holes get plugged up.

Old 03-19-14, 08:34 AM
Thanks, yes there is water coming out all around the rim.

Now the toilet is totally clogged.

Old 03-20-14, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think Pilot Dane had the best suggestion for figuring out whether it's an issue with the toilet or the drain:

...take a bucket with a couple gallons of water and quickly pour it into the center of the bowl. This will make the toilet flush. If it flushes strong than it points to the problems Joe mentioned like passages in the rim clogged, flapper not opening all the way or the tank is not properly filled. If it still flushes weak with the bucket test then is something in the drain line or toilet trap.
If the few gallons of water flushes well, I'd probably just get a new toilet... or start figuring out what piece isn't working well. If the water still doesn't flush down, then it's most likely a clog, requiring probably more than just a small snake. You'll likely need a snake with a larger head so it will actually clear whatever's in the pipe. At that point, the toilet will probably need to be pulled to see what you're dealing with.

Do you have any other slow drains in the house?