Crack/Fissure in Main Drain Pipe

Old 03-18-14, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack/Fissure in Main Drain Pipe

I have a home that was built in the 1950s.

In the summer of 2012, I was cleaning up the basement. During that process, I noticed the main drain pipe looked somewhat rusty and there was a crack or fissure in part of the drain pipe. I attached a photo of this crack/fissure. It seems like the crack is superficial. I had not seen any leak today or in the past.

So I purchased some JD Weld and I applied it to the crack on the pipe. I placed the JD Weld material about 1/2 inch above and 1/2 inch below the crack. This seemed to work fine for the last year and one half.

Well I was in the basement the other day. I noticed the pipe now has what appears to be a small hairline crack along the space where the JD Weld product ends on the top half of the old repair and the pipe.

My question is- can I apply some additional JD Weld to the area that now has this hairline crack?

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-14, 02:49 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
First of all, it is JB weld, not JD. The Justice Brothers (original manufacturer) would not like you referring to them as juvenile delinquents.

Cast iron, once it starts to crack, will continue to crack unless the crack is "interrupted" by drilling a small hole on each end just beyond the visible crack. You MAY be able to forestall replacement of this piping by first taking off the JB Weld, drilling the cracks as I mentioned and then thoroughly cleaning the surface and slathering some more of the Justice Brother's miracle fix anything invention. Eventually, however that pipe will need to be replaced.

Old 03-18-14, 02:54 PM
hi furd:

thanks for the advice. replacing the pipe is a little beyond the scope of my do-it-yourself skills. how much do you guesstimate the replacement of the pipe would cost.

I am from New Jersey and I estimate the pipe is about 18 feet long. Thanks.

Old 03-18-14, 03:45 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Mike Lawrosa is a professional plumber and he lives in New Jersey. He should be along shortly to give you some numbers.

Old 03-18-14, 03:48 PM
That will be great. Thanks!

Old 03-24-14, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hello... Dont know where you are in NJ but depending who you call that repair can be in the $300 to $1000 range... ( Just my estimate anyway)

Furd is correct in stating that section of pipe needs to be replaced.

Since it looks like a pipe cutter will not fit around the pipe. a grinder with a cutting wheel has to be used to make a clean cut..

Then use two mission couplings with a piece of PVC. And hopefully there is enough support at each end of the pipe, where after cutting it will not drop....