Water leaking through the walls when I turn outdoor faucet on

Old 03-19-14, 04:34 PM
Water leaking through the walls when I turn outdoor faucet on

Hi,

I did a lot of search here but I'm still a bit confused. We have a outdoor faucet that does not seem like frost proof but it only leaks when I turn it on and not when it is turned off. Yes, I didn't know I had to disconnect the hose from the faucet during the winter but I've learnt that lesson now. The water comes out from the wall through the bricks and if I leave it on long enough, I see some water in the house but it's right outside our living room and in texas, we don't have any basement or crawl space for me to look at it into. Do I have to go through the sheet rock or the bricks and change the whole thing or can I do something less intrusive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-14, 06:53 PM
[]Hi unfortunately your pipe has a leak inside the wall. It looks like this may be a frost proof drain.
remove the hose and get a big pair of pliers and try to turn it to the left. Grab it around the fat part above the drain. It should unscrew . Also it should have male threads on the end. If this works buy another one the same and put some thread sealant on it and screw it in
Name:  frostproof.jpg
Views: 5407
Size:  6.2 KB

Old 03-19-14, 08:42 PM
While Pontiac is correct that you have a broken valve inside the wall DO NOT attempt to remove the existing valve without first finding out where it attaches inside. Most of these valve are soldered into the piping systems and twisting it from outside will only succeed in breaking the piping and then you will have a gusher to contend with. Even if by chance the plumber used a threaded connection it is doubtful that connection is securely fastened to the house framing. Once you find the inside connection post a few more pictures and we will go from there.

Old 03-19-14, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
South of Austin or north of Austin? I live south of Austin and have never seen a frost proof faucet used but as stated it may be soldered. You need to open the inside wall.

Old 03-20-14, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm north of Dallas and when you say find the inside, should I cut open the sheet rock to get to it coz there is my living room behind it with no crawl space or basement?

Old 03-20-14, 07:06 AM
Before you try to remove the broken pipe. Make sure you shut off the main water supply and open a faucet till it stops running to remove the pressure in the pipe, . the best way to get at it would be from the inside. Cut a hole in the sheetrock. You should be able to patch it up so you will never be able to tell.