Gas line for basement kitcen

Old 03-22-14, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas line for basement kitcen

I'm planning to add a basement kitchen with gas stove, there seems 2 options:

(1). Running CSST pipe from basement mechanical room, the total run will be about 50'. The gas manifold is shown in the first photo. Since basement is finished, the CSST pipe will need to be run from manifold along duct and make 90 degree turn to joints and then another 90 degree turn from ceiling to stove. The CSST pipe will mostly be concealed.

(2). Running iron pipe or CSST from gas meter to stove, the total run will be about 20'. A pressure regulator will be needed. Most of the pipe will be outside and exposed. The gas meter is shown in the second photo. There is shutoff and a plugged Tee. I'm wondering if I can used the Tee for the new gas pipe.

Which way is better and easier to pass inspection?

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-14, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Can you give us a side shot of the meter from the left side ?

Just curious.....I see a regulator at the meter..... what's the regulator for just off the manifold ?

Old 03-22-14, 05:46 PM
Yes, I'm curious myself why there are 2 regulators. May be the pressure from Gas co. is too high? It's too dark outside now, I'll take a picture from left of the meter tomorrow. I'll contact Gas Co. if needed.

I'm not sure if the following helps:

http://washgas.com/library/residenti...nts/va1112.pdf

The regulator off the manifold is a 1/2" Maxitrol 325-3L.

Old 03-23-14, 01:18 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Two regulators means a two-stage pressure reduction. Most commonly done when the piping after the meter is too small for a single stage reduction. The regulator at the meter inlet reduces the pressure from the street main, which could be as high as 25 psi or more, to (generally) 2psi for metering and into the house. The second regulator further reduces the 2 psi to about 4-7 inches water column for use in the various appliances.

Old 03-23-14, 04:27 AM
That makes perfect sense to me. The outside regulator was supplied by gas co. There is about 30 feet 1/2" CSST from meter to mechanical room.

Now back to my options, if I use option 2, should I used similar regulator, i.e., Maxitrol 325-3L just for the gas stove? They sell new at Ebay for under $30, but the vent is for indoor use. I may need to build a housing for the regulator if installed outside. It's cheaper than run 50' CSST from manifold.

2 more photos are attached.

Attached Images   

Last edited by yahoo2003; 03-23-14 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-23-14, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I would just tap off the end tee there after the manufold for your application...

One thing though. As far as I know CSST is not allowed to be used outdoors... I belive its a code violation...

The reason I believe is for a lightning strike...

Old 03-23-14, 11:41 AM
There are many issues for Outdoor Installations, according to HomeFlex System Design and Installation Manual:

"The HOME-FLEX® jacket is UV resistant and able to withstand exposure to sunlight. ANSI LC1-
CSA 6-26 contains test requirements determining suitability for exposure of CSST to outdoor
environments. HOME-FLEX® is certified to this standard and is fully qualified for outdoor
installations. However, to attain maximum longevity of the jacket, it is recommended to avoid
prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.
When installed outdoors, the yellow jacketing of HOME-FLEX® must be intact along the
entire run. Any areas of exposed tubing are to be wrapped with self-bonding silicone tape or
sleeved to prevent damage from acids and chlorides.
If HOME-FLEX® is installed in the equipment room of a swimming pool or hot tub, or otherwise
exposed to a corrosive environment which could be harmful to the tubing, the tubing
shall be installed in a protective device, and any exposed portions of the stainless steel tubing
should be wrapped with self-bonding silicone tape, beginning on the jacket and ending on
the nut of the HOME-FLEX® fitting.
If HOME-FLEX® tubing is installed in an exposed condition alongside a structure between the
ground and a height of 6 feet, the tubing should be installed in a location such that it won’t
be subjected to mechanical damage, or be protected inside a conduit."

I'd like to replace or at least to wrap the external CSST which is exposed to UV light and has peeled yellow jacket.

Old 03-23-14, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
That may be what the manufacturer suggests but you need to follow local and state codes. Codes are in a sticky at the top of this thread... If I have time I will look later...

Old 03-23-14, 03:37 PM
I could not find information prohibiting outdoor installation of CSST in state or national code, I did find a good presentation about CSST safety:

http://www.lightning.org/wp-content/...rgan-CSSTs.pdf

Personally, I don't believe CSSTs are safer than iron pipes, I'm thinking of adding valves at manifold to shutoff all unused CSSTs off season.

I noticed electrical bonding requirement was introduce in NFPA 54/ANSI Z223.1 2009 Edition Section 7.13, our house was built in 2007, there is no bonding for gas pipes. I'll add bonding to gas pipes.

Last edited by yahoo2003; 03-23-14 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Ill find it else where but the NFGC states..

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) is allowed for new
construction, remodeling, and retrofitting applications in residential
and light commercial structures. CSST shall meet the design and
installation requirements set forth in ANSI/AGA LC 1-1993.
CSST is not designed to be used as a flexible gas appliance
connector and shall not be used as a substitute. The use of CSST
as a final connection for permanently installed appliances, such
as water heaters, furnaces, and boilers is allowed. CSST shall
terminate outside of the appliance jacket where the excessive
heat may ignite or damage the protective coating. The use of
CSST as a final connection of movable gas appliances, such as
ranges and clothes dryers, is not allowed.
CSST shall not be installed outdoors and shall not be run
underground unless installed in a sleeve or conduit.

Old 03-23-14, 06:57 PM
Thank for the information. After hours of registration, downloading java, disabling securities of my browsers, I still could not access the NFGC code 2012 edition (Java security violations). They sell the code for $57 at Amazon.

I'll try different PCs with less security settings.

Old 03-23-14, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
What code do you follow? Why dont you just call your local authority and ask?

Yes I did notice the Java thing. I believe they are having trouble on that site...