Need advice replacing lead 1920s closet bend with side inlet

Old 03-22-14, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice replacing lead 1920s closet bend with side inlet

Galvanized supply lines were leaking, so with the floor removed, it's a good time to replace the problematic DWV hookups. I was hoping to replace it using the old fittings as a guide, but Google says closet bends with side inlets are a bad idea. Also, drum trap should go. (1) How do I route the new lavatory drain? (2) Where do I attach the bathtub vent, as it is currently straight out of the drum trap? (3) The lead closet bend seems to have a short brass section where it enters the hub; rather than drill out the lead and oakum for an hour, can I cut the brass and use a Fernco to connect to PVC, and if so, which fernco fits brass? (4) What problems does a side inlet cause? Thanks!

Note: Ignore the white flexible pipe, it connects to a CatGenie toilet. Also ignore the red pex and the hose bibb, those are temporary and just used to cap off the supply pipes while the floor is out.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best way to remove a lead joint is with a torch. Lead has a low melting point and will quickly get soft. After heating it for a few minutes or so (depending on the torch) use an old screw driver (you do not care about) and a hammer and tap hard but not too hard on the lead to drive the screw driver in and pry up. Once it starts coming out it goes quick. An SV gasket or donut is a great way to go.
To replace the closet bend see if you have enough room after removing the lead joint to put a WYE fitting then continue on to where you come up for the water closet. The WYE will be your vent and is the replacement for the side outlet for the old closet bend and will follow that old path. For the drum trap. Of course the drum trap will be replaced by a P-Trap. Follow the lead pipe out of the drum trap. All of that should go. Now if it goes to cast iron follow the un-leading procedure above use an SV gasket. run the new pipe accordingly to what you removed.
It looks like you old Lav drain is off the side of the closet bend so the is what I am going by. With that being the case run out of your WYE (described above and put a new san tee in for the lav and about the same roughin height as the old one.

Where do I attach the bathtub vent, as it is currently straight out of the drum trap?
When running a vent you need to put it in before the P-Trap so a WYE fitting and then the P-Trap is the way to go. Come out of the WYE and go to the wall.
(3) The lead closet bend seems to have a short brass section where it enters the hub; rather than drill out the lead and oakum for an hour, can I cut the brass and use a Fernco to connect

You can cut or drill as long as you put it all back together correctly and it does not leak. I will tell you in my opinion unleading with a torch is the only way to go. I once saw a guy drilling hte lead out and I came back 30 minutes later and he still was drilling I told him the torch trick and he was done in 5 minutes. Also if you do not have enough room to get a WYE fitting and your new closet bend in then stop (before you start and reevaluate.

Good Luck